Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lombard rally rac bath 2018 event

Re: Lombard rally rac bath 2018 event

Above post says it all, thank-you.

Griff I’ll take you up on a drink one day! Sorry if I was blunt, but I was careful not to name anyone.

It had been mentioned earlier in the thread months and months ago though, and was discussed openly at Stoneleigh with another Lancia entrant, so to me was out in the open with no need for private messages. Reading entry list, some people have managed to get ther entry as their manufacturer, in this instance Hawk, while others are down as a Lancia, this is what made me post something on the forum for discussion.

It’s the Lancia bit that’s worrying. Especially on such a big event that will attract a lot of Press.

Whilst organisers do change things, I think it’s down to us as members (..and especially club officials!....) of an enthusiasts club to make sure they get it right in the first place and protect the integrity of the club and the other members who get equally embarrassed when questioned why a car is entered as an original, when it’s a kit car.

The guys running Classic events are generally happy to have you, but other participants can get very touchy about it in my own experience, even if you have entered it as the kit manufacturer, if you have Lancia badges on your car, then you have to be prepared for some comments.

Ill get down off me soap box now, just something I think we need to be sharper on as a club if we are to be taken seriously and allowed to run on these events.

Bobster

Norm, what has my wife been telling you about drinks additives?
    Rob, excellent, I'm very proud of my Hawk, particularly when people say nice things about it. Unfortunately I wasn't at Stoneleigh, so was totally unaware of any conversation that took place.
    Craig, that's always assuming it doesn't have a Toyota, Fiat, Rover, or Honda lump? and that it has 6 cylinders!!!!!

SEC Member

Griff, I always put additives in my drinks...sugar and milk if it's tea or coffee, water if it's a cordial, and a splash of lime with lager

This whole subject of identity is a very sensitive one. I can, actually, understand why someone would be a bit economical with the truth - they've built or bought a "replica" because they always wanted a real one, and can't have one for whatever reason (financial, usually!), so this is as good as it gets. And to extend the fantasy or whatever you want to call it, it becomes almost a Lancia Stratos in their head, and then that gets extended when explanations need to be forthcoming after the usual questions from the public - sometimes it's just a lot easier to say it's a Lancia Stratos than have to go into that whole explanation of it being a replica and it's got this or that motor and how close it is to a real one (or not) and how it's actually better (or worse, but who's gonna say that!) and, and, .... and you need to be in work the next day and not still standing at the roadside/in a car park answering the same old questions from a horde of enthusiastic interested onlookers.

If you're entering an event then it's fine to put "Lancia Stratos" but you need to be a bit more forthcoming as well - Craig's suggestion to put it down as what it is is a good one, but most people out there in Car World don't know what a Lister Bell or a Hawk is so I think you NEED to put "Stratos replica" or something so organisers know what they're getting. And if you did enter a replica as a Lancia Stratos, would you not be in danger of being excluded when it's discovered the car's not what you said it is? Cars have been disqualified from events before for just being a few cc's over the capacity limit, so a whole car not being what it purposed to be...

So yeah. A very emotive subject that gets lots of people worked up. But really, the only time this becomes an issue is when there's an intention to deceive. An example would be that YouTube video that someone posted a link to recently, where the titles specifically said "Lancia Stratos" and it was a V8-engined Hawk. But other times? Sometimes it's just easier to say "yeah, I've done *whatever* to the Strat" and nobody thinks you're talkng about modding your Fender electric guitar...

Let's not bash each other up here. I can't believe anyone on this forum would be daft enough to try and pass their car off as "real" cos all the forum members would know immediately. And even if someone DID do it and was "discovered", I don't see how that brings the forum/club into disrepute - it's the action of one person. After all, how many of us have points on our licences...doesn't mean everyone in the club's all speed-crazed lunatics on a Death Race 2000-style mission, does it?
    Erm, OK, scrub that last bit...bad example

I now await the incoming hail of comments, barbed, mild or otherwise...but it's just my opinion and doesn't reflect on the club as a whole, haha!
    Last edited by Normb666; 23-06-2018 at 13:42.

No idea what on earth is being said about John, firstly i have always made out and place any entry forms to any events we have ever attended not john, i just ask him for any information that is needed that i am not sure of in filling out these forms as they vary at times i.e make model etc, as (LANCIA STRATOS HAWK REPLICA. ENGINE SIZE ETC.) i have never said or stated at any time on any application anything different than it is a Lancia Stratos Hawk Replica.
    I contacted Tim Nash to see where we stood, in this matter, see below my email and Tim's reply.
    I cannot see why i need to apologize to all the SEC members for errors that are made by the publishing organizers of the events about Johns car, with being a club committee member makes things even worst on this matter. If any member wishes me to resign, please feel free to pm me.

(Carol

I will have a look over the weekend, but as far as I remember your car is listed as a replica. You didn't enter as the "real" thing, I do remember that.

Whatever it is listed as, how would you like the car listed when the programme is printed?

Tim Nash

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, 22 June 2018 9:00 PM
    To: Tim Nash
    Subject: Re Lombard rac rally in bath entry form

Dear Tim ,

We have been told that by some club members of the stratos enthusiast club , on the open forum that we ( John Butterfield )has deliberately placed an entry to yourselves stating that our car is an original Lancia Stratos, when we made out the form we never said or ever said it was an original always been a hawk replica , please can you let us know where we stand now, as the car has been miss represented somewhere on a site for your event, we certainly do not want to jeopardise the integrity of either the event I or the stratos club (SEC).

I shall await your reply

Regards Carol & John Butterfield

Sent from my iPad
    "
    carol
    I have had a look at www.lombardrallybath.co.uk/entry-list this morning and I'm afraid that there was a mistake made on your entry listing. Feel free to pass this on to the Stratos owners club. The entry listing has now been updated to Hawk Stratos, as it should be.

My apologies for the mistake - sorry if it has caused any embarrassment.

See you in Ocober.

All the Best

Tim Nash
    Last edited by The Slug; 25-06-2018 at 02:39.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    I would think it probably is a clerical thing.
    As I thought.

My Hawk is correctly registered by DVLA, but always comes up on the DVLA MOT computer as a Lancia Stratos, when it goes for an MOT....
    My resignation is in the post....
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

...and sometimes, when people ask, it's easier to just call it a Lancia Stratos. A lot of people don't know what a Lancia is or a Hawk, let alone a Stratos. If you tell them it's a replica you then have to explain it's a real car, you can actually drive it on the road.
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

SEC Member

Struan, that's what I was saying above - sometimes you just can't be ar*sed after a long day driving and doing roadside repairs, haha! And most of the time it wouldn't make any difference to those you're talking to... I did something similar a few years ago when I was visiting someone in California. We'd meet people, they'd be fascinated by the accent and ask where I was from, I'd tell them St. Helens and then that'd lead into a whole other conversation about where that is, etc. etc. So eventually I just said "Liverpool" (which is about 12 miles down the road) and the response then was "ah!" or, "hey, did you know the Beatles?" depending on the age of the other person...much easier, plus I got my life back

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    So eventually I just said "Liverpool" (which is about 12 miles down the road) and the response then was "ah!" or, "hey, did you know the Beatles?" depending on the age of the other person...much easier, plus I got my life back
    But that was only after you learnt to say, no, never met John/Paul/George or Ringo.....