Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Yet another non Stratos related project !!

Re: Yet another non Stratos related project !!

Update on the Fiat Corona..

Moved to the boot area
    Stripped out the tank and all of the rest of the items and repainted.
    Drained the fuel tank, removed sand and carp by using degreaser and jet wash then repainted...
    View inside tank..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.05.17 (11).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	16288

This is the Carp

Name:	2020.05.21_143453.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	16289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.05.22_104733.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	16290

Now painted and refitted..

Name:	2020.05.21 (4).jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	16291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.05.21_143532.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	16292

I will be adding a "Reserve" tank to the passengers side, filler caps already installed, not Abarth position or style......

Name:	2020.05.17 (3).jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	16293

Fuel pump, filter, reserve transfer pipe and tap, new filler pipe, new breather pipe with anti roll valves... all since fitted.

That's not just any carp, it's Californian carp! Stick it on eBay, someone will buy it.

Car is looking great Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCorseChris View Post
    That's not just any carp, it's Californian carp! Stick it on eBay, someone will buy it.

Car is looking great Phil.
    Thanks Chris
    Looking back I realise that I did make a big mistake... I only had the Fuel tank and pipes, Wiring Loom and steering boxes to remove and the body would have been completely stripped and I could have had it painted inside and out !!........ so next time..........

Hopefully we never stop learning. My example, I recently learned not to try and paint a chassis at home in a tent....

So what's the next project on the production line then?

So what's the next project on the production line then?
    Apart from the Fulvia Zagato which I am still pondering about selling as a "Project".... nothing really.... But a rust free California car is definitely the way to go !.... so much better when you are not cutting rust out and having to take bolts out with a spanner ALL the way... using far less WD40 etc etc..... so much more pleasurable...

So a Refurb / California car will be definitely the way I will be going... I have enjoyed doing the Fiat, I like the look of the car.... another one ?.. who knows !

I watch a load of these car shows where they resurrect a rusted hulk worthy of nothing but scrap, and while I have huge admiration for the skill and effort, I always wonder how long before the tin worm reappears. Can’t be doing with rust myself, it’s so insidious you just never know what’s lurking. A California car is such a great way to go.

I watch a load of these car shows where they resurrect a rusted hulk worthy of nothing but scrap, and while I have huge admiration for the skill and effort, I always wonder how long before the tin worm reappears. Can’t be doing with rust myself, it’s so insidious you just never know what’s lurking. A California car is such a great way to go.
    Totally agree..... just watch Car SOS (and as you say I admire the skill of Fuzz and his team).... they restored an MGA..... there was ONLY the sub frame left and that was questionable !.... just total RUST !

SEC Member

I.bought a basket case MGA Coupe about 30 years ago.
    When I totalled up the cost of the replacement panels alone it came to much more than the car was worth. Even then.
    I didnt love it that much.

I too, agree with what you're all saying.
    A restored car, no matter how good the workmanship, will never be as good as a car that's never gone rusty in the first place.
    You'd have to replicate the full factory body shell dipping, to get anywhere near the same lifespan.
    I suppose restored cars tend not to be exposed to damp, like they were when they were new, so they last from then on, for that reason?

Fabricated steel space frame chassis' are quietly going rusty on the inside too. The rate of decay will be so very slow if kept in a dry garage.
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 26-05-2020 at 09:20.

Some shots of recent progress, Dash stickers courtesy of Chris J (cheers Chris).
    Fuel tank plumbed in apart from the reserve tank I am having made by a friend on here !
    Sump guard fitted…. However where they expected the front end to bolt to god only knows !... the black hollow section is my creation and at least provides a solid foundation for it.
    Bonnet refitted now the engine is in place, Front lower grille in place.

I am currently looking at the steering again as I have noticed that having cleaned down the steering box some months ago it has now decided to start weeping oil… bugger, plus I needed to replace the transfer steering link and the inner rod ends…. Some months ago whilst the engine was out I decided to leave it until after the engine was fitted as it should be easy enough and access is good….. mistake!

So here we go lets take the whole lot off and get it sorted, a quick glance at the Haynes manual… no where did it say that that removing the steering box was a right bitch as there is a 300mm long shaft protruding inside the car which attaches to the steering column !! Also there is a Pitman Steering arm on the bottom of the steering box, the nut which holds the Pitman Arm to the steering box is 30mm AF……. I have a 32mm AF and 27mm AF … sod’s law at it’s best !
    So I have an old large adjustable spanner (cringe)…. Didn’t even move the nut at all, however I did have a length of 40x40 box section lurking in the corner of the garage…. At this point I did think that this could all end in tear’s… so with the adjustable spanner extended by the box section I gave it a tug… nothing !... sh1t or bust time now.. both hands on the box section and one foot against the car and gave it all I’ve got… hey presto it started to move !
    The issue now is getting the Pitman Arm off it’s spline’s…. this too is bloody stuck ! this is the job for today !... so I dare say there will be more cursing and blood by the end of the day !..... next report may be coming from a Corona infested hospital ward !

Cheers

Name:	2020.06.17 _104530 (1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	16423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.06.17 _104530 (2).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	16424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020.06.17 _104657 (1).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	16425