Thread: Stoneleigh Show this year

Stoneleigh Show this year

I attended on the Sunday only and although the weather was perfect I felt the attendance was down and the Show was looking a little jaded? A few years back you would walk in through the gates and there were amazing cars everywhere - I think it was DNA who had a stand facing you with their lovely Ferrari replicas. This year there was a 5 minute walk through the deserted lanes and past empty sheds (tumble weeds rolling across the road) to find the action. Where were the annoying 7 replicas offering punters hair-raising passenger rides around the cones to the accompaniment of screaming tyres ?
    The halls seemed depleted too with fewer stands - is this a downward trend for the kit car industry ? Has Stoneleigh had its day? Controversially - is there another event that might be preferable for our annual gathering?

Just my thoughts !

Peter

Re: Stoneleigh Show this year

Peter
    I’m sorry to know that the attendance was down despite the sunny weather...
    Are the effects of new coming European rules against engine emission or some Brexit consequences?
    Not sure they are a lot of French people this year there as previous years?!
    Hopefully the UK kitcar will survive because this industry is almost disappeared in France and in other EU countries!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 07-05-2018 at 11:51.

I was only there on Sunday but thought there was far more cars to see in the various club areas than I can remember from last year and the year before that.

the main halls had less suppliers. so did the other undercover hall. buy the club stands where great. good examples of actual cars. and the drifting cars where on all weekend. in front of the ultimas parked up.

even sec had loads of stratos on display.

Yes agree that all the peripheral areas and owners club stands seemed as active and lively as ever - and the SEC stand was in a great position and very well represented - but the show itself was a little disappointing. I believe there will always be a need for a venue to provide a focal point for Owners Clubs . Let's hope that this year the apparent smaller Show was a blip and that the future for the industry is assured.

As the quality of most kits improves - and the make-do-and-mend ethos (and cars which are heavily donor reliant) slowly transforms into kits with all new components and easy-build custom made parts I'm wondering if venues such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed and similar might be a better place to sell kits (and complete cars) to a range of enthusiasts who would not otherwise have considered building their own cars?

Again just a thought !

Peter

A number of kit manufacturers do exhibit at Goodwood Revival, I think the Festival of Speed is not as good for exhibitors as the end up in a field away from the real event.
    Some kit manufacturers exhibit at the Performance car show that is tagged on to Autosport international these days and obviously Gerry and maybe others do Race Retro and others The Classic Car Show.
    GD used to do an Expo event at Canary Wharf but this has now ceased.
    It is worth noting that it is not only the kit shows which have declined, the aforementioned Autosport show is considerable smaller than in years gone by and it is the Performance car show side which bulks up the overall size of the event.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

The 'void' in Hall 2 didn't look good.
    I don't know what can be done about that?

Stoneleigh in May is 'nailed on' as the big early summer gathering for the Stratos club. We were knee deep in Stratos replicas in 2017.
    You can't better the venue for its geographic position?

I agree - the South Midlands location is probably optimal for most parties - although I suspect some might prefer it further north ! I have no objection to Stoneleigh as a venue or for it's timing but slightly concerned for the future of the event if the organisers dont get a reasonable return. I think structurally the market is changing - as it has been for some years now - and we are all uncertain as to what shape it will take in the future but I've no doubt that - legislation permitting - there will be a market for quality replicas.