Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent issues

Intermittent issues

Hi All,

It seems that we're having some intermittent issues with the access to the database behind the website. For me this has presented itself as a screen showing a vBulletin error message. Looking into this as best I can (I'm in a field in Yorkshire at the moment) it seems that the database is being swamped with connections and is simply refusing additional connections above a certain number. This is, in itself, normal except that the number of connections at which this happens should be way above the normal number of connections which the database should be seeing at any single point in time.

The fact that I can post this means that all is not lost (so no need to act like Corporal Jones just yet), I'll be home in the next few days and have a more detailed look into things.

Regards,
    Jeff
    (Web thingie)

Re: Intermittent issues

Hi Jeff (chief Web Thingie) - I havent experienced any issues so maybe not such a big problem ?

Possibly not .. but still worth looking into.

SEC Member

I tend to have a quick look to see who might be online whenever I log on, and there always seem to be a ton of "guests" - right now there are 10 members and 237 guests. OK, so some will be members who want a quick peek at something and can't be bothered logging in, but 237...??
    Not saying we should limit them - we've got nothing to hide (quick tidy up of incriminating evidence...) and hopefully some will become full members (and then we can spend their subs on beer). Be interesting to know what the figures are for max users vs. how many are on when the DB throws a wobbly.

Oh, and, er, Hello, Guest-Type Peeps

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Be interesting to know what the figures are for max users vs. how many are on when the DB throws a wobbly.
    The max we have had on is shown on the front page at the bottom and currently stands at:
    Most users ever online was 522, 02-02-2017 at 08:06.

If you try to login as a guest you wont see much other than what your missing!!

SEC Member

Ahhh, but then you either wouldn't be missing it cos you could see it, or you couldn't see it and wouldn't know anyway....sheesh, I really make my head hurt sometimes

You see the titles and the thread headers but some sneaky bugger hide the rest of the thread!!!

Hi All,

An advanced warning (though not that advanced)...

I'm home and having looked into the database. It seems that we've only got 25 MBytes free space left before everything grinds to a halt. It's sort of that serious.

The set up with the hosting providers limits the database to 1024 MBytes and we're pretty close to it already. This might be the root cause behind some of the issues that I see occasionally, it also may not be.

Anyway .. I am aware of the situation and am looking into options. What ever happens there will probably need to be some down time in the next few days/weeks once I have a plan of how address this issue.

PS: Now is the time to get Corporal Jones out..

oh dear ! I'll put my tin helmet on (Mr Mainwaring)

SEC Member

Kinell, it's just like being back at work...as a SAN and Storage Array Administrator I get this from our DBAs all the time, "we're nearly out of space, can we have 500GB extra storage or the XYZ system will collapse". Unfortunately I can't help out here as I think it might be noticed if an unknown server suddenly appeared in one of the data centres and I asked one of the Installations guys to connect it to the SAN...

A thought though, 1GB doesn't seem much for a database?? Hopefully extending it'll not cost too much!

Good work tho Jeff, keep us all posted, or else "we're doomed!" (Scottish accent)