Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent issues

Re: Intermittent issues

The limit is a purely arbitrary one which is applied to any databases they host on behalf of their customers. It's not a limit of the database itself, most probably just some form of quota system. But it looks (at an initial pass) like they're fairly inflexible about it; we can have as many 1 GB databases as we like, but (so far) there's no mention yet of anything larger. Using a different database doesn't win you anything.

I'm currently running up a sand pit environment at home so I can restore the backup I made when I got home and have a play with it, see what the options are.

Trouble is, it's been a while since I had to do any of this, and some of the neurons are rusty and need some oil....
    Last edited by Jeff; 15-08-2018 at 22:31.

Hi All,

Hopefully the problem has been solved. Certainly a *huge* amount of space has been recovered from the database such that rather than being 95+% full it's now only 25% full.

"So what on earth have you thrown away Jeff? Can there be anything left?"

It seems that the language translation facility was being something of a hog and was permanently keeping translations of pages in perpetuity. In effect what should have been a caching facility was archiving all its work in many, many languages, forever. Having found out what was actually using up all the space (not as simple as it ought to have been) there was just the task of disillusioning that part of the software and making it play more sensibly.

Anyway, vBET options located, cache cleaning enabled (over night), ét voila, space recovered.

Pages should still be translated on demand, that facility hasn't been touched. The translated pages should be cached for 90 days, after which they should (presumably if not accessed again) be deleted during an over-night purge. If required again they can be re-translated and cached again.

Visually and content wise this shouldn't have had any impact on the site. If somebody sees something not right let me know. I did backup everything yesterday afternoon prior to the clean up, just to be safe.

Jeff.

.... having said the above, this shouldn't have had any impact on why I was seeing the DB refusing connections. I'll keep a watch on things from the side lines for a while.
    Last edited by Jeff; 18-08-2018 at 10:47. Reason: typo

SEC Member

Brilliant, thanks Jeff.

Tin helmet removed - well done that man !

SEC Member

Good 'un Jeff, - now you've had a practice and saved us all from ourselves, you can zoom off and Save the World. Get yerself some of those red over-the-tights underpants and send the bill to the Club Treasurer.

i have not been able to get the member map for weeks
    steve

I'll have a look about, see what I can see...

Quote Originally Posted by hollytree View Post
    i have not been able to get the member map for weeks
    steve

Edit/

... and I can not see anything. The surrounding vBulletin stuff is there, but where the map stuff should be is bare. I've tried a couple of alternative browsers (though nothing Windows based) and it all looks the same; empty.

I don't believe this has been caused by me (if this has been this way for a few weeks) so initially it feels like some unexpected interaction between the vBulletin/Forum scripts and Googles mapping API. But it's going to take me a while to work this out - never had to look into anything like this before.

Jeff.
    Last edited by Jeff; 19-08-2018 at 19:59.

Jeff (et al),

it's got something to do with accessing the map using the usual https (encrypted) mode. If you edit the url to remove the s in https, it presents at it should. Wierd....

Mark
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Well Mark,

I've "chopped" the "s" out of the URL as you did, and I get the map displayed but watermarked with "For Development Purposes Only" and in a friend dull grey colour.

A brief skip through the internet would seem to indicate that the Google maps service is no longer free (it seems this possibly happened a couple of months ago). To re-enable it I would need to associate a bill paying mechanism to the connection and be prepared to pay, on demand, what they charge once you've used up your "free entitlement".

I doubt that we're that worried by the map facility and extras that Google can offer and there remain some alternative (and still free) options that could replace it.

I'll keep people updated though I wouldn't suggest holding your collect breath, yet.