Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aston V8 Vantage?

Aston V8 Vantage?

Anyone had one? I think I might be about to buy this.......

Apart form the possibility of bankruptcy if owt goes wrong, any reason why I shouldn't?

Re: Aston V8 Vantage?

I have heard things can get expensive if you do too many donuts in them... gently setting off seems to be a good idea!

Get one bought, drink it while it's fizzy!!!

I have been fortunate to drive many thousands of miles in all Aston Martin products. If I was going to buy one it would be a Vantage. The forum on Piston Heads is very well informed. They will all tell you to make sure the car has a good service history. The engines are very strong, the clutch less so depending upon how the driver uses it! Don't think about it too long, go for it and enjoy.

Hi Leigh
    I have had 2 of them (not at the same time !!)... I really like them, well balanced particularly around a track and will out handle the DB9 or Vanquish V12's IMHO, great soundtrack, well finished, great image, etc etc.

18/20 mpg, servicing about £400 / 600 if done by main agent, the later car I had suffered from the electric windows not functioning correctly but I understand that the electric modules which control the windows are Volvo !

Do your homework on pricing, don't pay too much as there are plenty out there, ensure service history is all there, make sure EVERYTHING works as it should

The car you are planning on buying looks really nice, sport pack version ?

My cars...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0960.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	14314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3218.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	14315

Cheers
    Phil

Just noticed... it's a Manual !.... best choice
    Life is toooo short... go for it

Thnaks for the replies guys. The car is in for an inspection with AML Performance in Macclesfield today. If it checks out then I'll be discussing price with the owner. It's a private sale so an inspection is essential. I don;t know these cars but I have done my research so am going in with my eyes open.

It's a one owner car form new. He got it for his 40th birthday. It's a 2006 my but was only registered on 1 Jan 2007. Talking to him I think it was a cancelled order from someone else that had sat at the dealer for a few months.

It not been polished and cleaned to death but it it in very good nick. It is a 12 year old car so not going to be perfect. It seems to have the small issues very common with these cars:

Tiny bit of condensation in front lights

Few stonechips on the nose /front bumper and also the fronts of the rear arches. Don't show up to bad because of the colour. But not sure how you would sort them as there are no panel gaps to paint up to, you'd have to do all the rear quarter of the car.

Wing mirror brackets look like they might be about to start loosing paint, although not yet happened.

Also a little bit of damage on one of handles on the interior door trim but could be sorted by repainting it.

Engine bay was dirty but no obvious leaks. And would probably clean up very nicely.

Basically the owner knows nothing about cars. He just uses it and sends it to Aston for service and MOT and whatever work is needed and pays them to sort it. So very well cared for but not cossetted and polished to death. But he is VERY well off. So he won't have scrimped on anything.

Clutch was heavier than a modern car but felt fine. Certainly not over heavy.
    Gearbox was very notchy when cold but soon warmed up and got a lot nicer.
    Just a very easy car to drive really in an 'old school' way. Comfy too, I could see it would be easy to spend a lot of hours at the wheel.

It's not a very fast car. Quick and sounds awesome but probably about the same as the OH's Audi S3.

It has a nice spec with power fold mirrors, rear parking sensors, GSM phone etc. Also has a tracker fitted.

Upgrades fitted (all done by AM Wilmslow)

Official AM engine upgrade kit (400hp)
    AM sport exhaust back box
    AM N400 side sills
    AM N400 wheels
    AM clear rear lights
    AM carbon front spoiler lip
    AM Carbon ear diffuser

All these will add up to well over £10k retail I reckon.

Included in the sale will be a AM tailored cover and the original wheels.

Overall a really nice example that needs a tiny bit of tidying and cleaning to make it about as good as it can be for the age. Nice colour interior too - sort of burgundy. Goes really well with the tungsten silver exterior.

Priced at £35k which is high(ish) for a 2006 MY car but it has only 18.500 miles on it.
    Last edited by LPH_UK; 24-01-2019 at 10:36.

The spec sounds good andit looks the business Leigh - go for it ! I'd love to own one!

This car started life with about 320bhp so the "official" 400 upgrade is nice !...
    as you say slightly high on the price... but not too bad.... the closer you can get to 30k the better !... good luck

Sorry... 320 should read 380 !

I'm not sure what he'll be like on doing a deal but I can try. The upgrades do add to the price a bit over a standard car but nowhere near the cost of the upgrades. I reckon £10k upgrades might add £2k to the value? The original wheels are included and they would sell for about £1k.

We'll see what the inspection says.

As far as I can see from the Web his house if valued at about £6m, so either he'll be flexible on price as £35k is pocket change, or he won't budge because he's tight and that''s how you become wealthy!

Anyone want to by a VERY fast and powerful Lotus Elise with a supercharged Honda engine? 18k genuine miles, bills for at least £80k - possibly closer to £100k....
    Last edited by LPH_UK; 24-01-2019 at 12:39.