Thread: AGM 2019 - Stoneleigh - and Volunteers for Committee Positons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SEC Member

AGM 2019 - Stoneleigh - and Volunteers for Committee Positons

All,

The 2019 AGM will be held as usual at the National Kit Car Show, Stoneleigh, on May Day Bank Holiday Sunday, 5th May, at 12:00. Also as usual, there'll be the marquee and a BBQ and tea/coffee afterwards. If anyone has a topic they'd like to be discussed, then let me know and I'll add it to the agenda. Kit car drivers get in free, also as usual, and you'll be able to park in our own stand (51B) and pose shamelessly.

Also this year we have several committee positions up for grabs, due to the current incumbents stepping down. The positions are (current holder in brackets) :-

Membership Secretary (Carol Butterfield)
    Regalia Secretary (Carol Butterfield)
    Webmaster (Jeff Penfold)
    Chairman (John Butterfield)
    Vice Chairman (currently empty)
    Secretary...maybe...but see below

If you think you might have the necessary skills/abilities and fancy doing your bit for the club, or you know someone who could, then let me know by the end of March latest, please, as in the event of there being more than one candidate for a position, we'll ballot you all electronically rather than having the usual votes by just those who turn up for the AGM - that way everyone gets to have a say. Of course even if there's only one volunteer for a post, you'll still be told who those new people are in advance.

There's already one nomination for the position of Chairman, and that's me - I've been asked if I'd like to take over from John, and I've accepted, pending approval by you lot, which means anyone else can still stand as well but it'd then go to a vote. Therefore, having been nominated (by John) and seconded (by Carol), if there are no other candidates and no objections, I'll take over from John at the AGM.
    This means that I could end up holding two positions - Chairman and Secretary - and although that's allowed for in the club rules, I'd rather not do both, so if anyone fancies a go at Secretary, let me know, otherwise I'll continue for now.
    If it does happen that I become Chairman, then it'd be good if we could get someone from further south to be Vice-Chair, so both ends of the country could be covered/represented...although that doesn't mean you get expenses to travel to Aus/NZ

Cheers!
    Norm

Re: AGM 2019 - Stoneleigh - and Volunteers for Committee Positons

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    All,

The 2019 AGM will be held as usual at the National Kit Car Show, Stoneleigh, on May Day Bank Holiday Sunday, 5th May, at 12:00. Also as usual, there'll be the marquee and a BBQ and tea/coffee afterwards. If anyone has a topic they'd like to be discussed, then let me know and I'll add it to the agenda. Kit car drivers get in free, also as usual, and you'll be able to park in our own stand (51B) and pose shamelessly.

Also this year we have several committee positions up for grabs, due to the current incumbents stepping down. The positions are (current holder in brackets) :-

Membership Secretary (Carol Butterfield)
    Regalia Secretary (Carol Butterfield)
    Webmaster (Jeff Penfold)
    Chairman (John Butterfield)
    Vice Chairman (currently empty)
    Secretary...maybe...but see below

If you think you might have the necessary skills/abilities and fancy doing your bit for the club, or you know someone who could, then let me know by the end of March latest, please, as in the event of there being more than one candidate for a position, we'll ballot you all electronically rather than having the usual votes by just those who turn up for the AGM - that way everyone gets to have a say. Of course even if there's only one volunteer for a post, you'll still be told who those new people are in advance.

There's already one nomination for the position of Chairman, and that's me - I've been asked if I'd like to take over from John, and I've accepted, pending approval by you lot, which means anyone else can still stand as well but it'd then go to a vote. Therefore, having been nominated (by John) and seconded (by Carol), if there are no other candidates and no objections, I'll take over from John at the AGM.
    This means that I could end up holding two positions - Chairman and Secretary - and although that's allowed for in the club rules, I'd rather not do both, so if anyone fancies a go at Secretary, let me know, otherwise I'll continue for now.
    If it does happen that I become Chairman, then it'd be good if we could get someone from further south to be Vice-Chair, so both ends of the country could be covered/represented...although that doesn't mean you get expenses to travel to Aus/NZ

Cheers!
    Norm
    Very clear Norm. You have my vote for Chairman - what's involved in being Vice-Chair? (shame about about the Antipodean expenses!)

SEC Member

Ta for the vote of (maybe misplaced) confidence, Peter...I'd advise you, and anyone else considering a committee position, to firstly have a look at the club rules which are posted in their own section on this forum. Most positions are self-explanatory - but being Chair or Vice-Chair means you represent the club, and are effectively its public face. You could be called on to settle internal disputes, or prevent the club being brought into disrepute, etc....it's basically a management position. As Vice-Chair you'd be expected to assist the Chair if necessary, or step into that role if the Chairperson was unavailable for any reason. As it happens we've got a pretty well-mannered bunch of peeps here, possibly because we're not that big a club, so it tends to manage itself, which is cool. I'd certainly be going for the hands-off approach as much as possible, which some may say is very similar to my driving style

I'm happy to pick up the Membership role (alongside the Treasurer function I currently have). I developed the gist of looking at how this works when we did the calendars last year and am keen to see how we can support our members both near and far....

Mark
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

SEC Member

Cheers Mark, there's some logic in that thinking, so to everyone else - will anyone second that proposal?

I'll second that proposal.
    P

We sorted regalia at Lancia Motor Club by finding an online fulfilment company, and all (I say with thanks to the guy that stepped forward in LMC’s case) was needed was someone who could apply the club logos etc to a variety of merchandise. Folk ordered direct and the company gave a small margin back to the club for every sale.

SEC Member

That's an interesting way of doing it...let's see if anyone steps up and if not, maybe that's the way to go.

Just had notification from Alan that he'll be stepping down as Events Officer at the AGM, so that's another post we could do with filling. Anyone?

I've got a bunch of £Free stickers available for any club members attending the AGM.
    'Like last year...

Could that go on 'matters arising' or wherever?
    Thanks.

SEC Member

Sure thing Chris, I'll be putting out an agenda (different to my hidden one, mwahahahaaaa) in April so I'll bung it in.