Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Sat 10th August 2019

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Sat 10th August 2019

Oooohh... I saw the "Northern" bit in the title and got all excited. Then realised that Shap is 215 miles (or 3hrs 45mins) south of home and is even in another country!! Gotta be some contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act or sommat.

In saying that, I've been on a few runs in that area in the past and all have been memorable.... and wet. Perhaps I'll have something suitable to join in with next year... passport controls, immigration formalities and hard border barricades permitting.

SEC Member

Hiya Bob, had an idea you might show up somewhere along the route! We're leaving Shap at 10 so I'd have said a couple of hours to Kielder, maybe a bit longer. And you know how these things go....it's not a procession so peeps will be well spread out by then! My suggestion: have the teas ready and waiting with a nice piece of cake

Jim - you don't need a Stratos to come along, in fact there are usually only a couple. And there's a group of peeps who aren't even Stratos Enthusiasts (specifically) who'll be there!
    The one thing you do need to know, though, is that anyone coming from north of that daft "border" has to bring a supply of Irn-Bru and Tunnocks, as a sort of guarantee of good faith. I know it's a long way for you... even if you decided to just pop down to Kielder to say Hello on this one, it's still a good schlep. There's a goodly number of folks from Dahn Sarf who can't make it for the same reason - too far. Ah well, c'est la vie, as they say in the other half of the Auld Alliance....

Keilder's not far towards the equator from me, indeed I was there a month or two ago on the way back from Newcastle airport when they shut the A68. But there's no wheels on my wagon, and I'll be in midge central near Oban at the weekend now, so I'll miss you this year. Do look out for motorcyclists and MAMILS; there's a lot about and a steady cull of them at weekends doesn't seem to put them off.

SEC Member

Cheers Chris, shame you can't pop over. Maybe next time.

As a biker meself, I try to be aware of them, but as we all know there are usually a few who think they're invincible and have a God-given right to be in front of all cars, and can overtake whenever and wherever they want... forecast isn't looking too good for the weekend, but the upside of that is that it might keep many of them indoors...

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post

Jim - you don't need a Stratos to come along, in fact there are usually only a couple. And there's a group of peeps who aren't even Stratos Enthusiasts (specifically) who'll be there!
    The one thing you do need to know, though, is that anyone coming from north of that daft "border" has to bring a supply of Irn-Bru and Tunnocks, as a sort of guarantee of good faith. I know it's a long way for you... even if you decided to just pop down to Kielder to say Hello on this one, it's still a good schlep. There's a goodly number of folks from Dahn Sarf who can't make it for the same reason - too far. Ah well, c'est la vie, as they say in the other half of the Auld Alliance....
    I've no other plans for the weekend so, if the weather forecast changes, I might jump in something suitable for a car run (Japanese, but still suitable) and pop down to Kielder.

SEC Member

Great! See ya there (if you're not careful).

Getting ready to set off within the next hour !!............ see you all soon........ great news about the weather forecast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEC Member

Yep, just a little extra challenge I arranged to have thrown in...

Enjoy your run everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
    Looking forward to a bit of Fawlty Towers relief, and your company of course.
    Oh yes!....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello Wasps.jpg