Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Sat 10th August 2019

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Sat 10th August 2019

Robin, can you confirm that you've confirmed the confirmation? Cos I'm confused and I've not had me tea yet.

Messing about aside, I think we're back on track with all this now (till the next time we're not...!) If anyone else fancies going, when you call the hotel ask for Laura Copland, who's dealing with our booking. Tell her you're with the "Briers" group and she'll relieve you of £30. She's only there on Tuesdays and Wednesdays though. Ta!

SEC Member

Only 6 weeks to go to the gig, so as I'm not in work this week I decided it was time to try out the route and see if there were any gotchas (there was just the one, involving road resurfacing, but it won't be an issue when we're there).

Total mileage came out at 215, and I have to say I was very pleased with how it went. Great roads, fab scenery, very little of what you might call nadgeriness, and not much in the way of traffic either....hope that's also true when we do it for real!

Also called in at the hotel to check on our bookings and see if their list tied up with mine (it did, amazingly). There are still rooms available if you've been umm-ing and ahh-ing, so come on, do the biz and give 'em a ring. Now the booking prob is all sorted you can call any time and you don't need to ask for Laura, but make sure you tell them you're with the "Briers" group or you'll be charged the full rate. Don't forget to post on here as well to let me know!

Thanks for organising Norm. Really looking forward to it. Just refreshed the mobile nail bar and will bring some specially selected, new for 2019 stratosec exclusive colours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	186813AC-A070-4126-9970-4C35DFC61F1C.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	15084

SEC Member

Errrr….that's impressive, in a very scary way....do us all a favour and don't forget yer socks

By the way, if anyone wants to just do the run and not stop over, that's OK - you can do the whole thing or just a part of it, or even meet up at one of the stops if you like. I'm looking to set everyone off about 10:00 on the day so we're back at the hotel about half 5 or 6-ish, assuming a 30mph average including the stops.

SEC Member

Just had a day out and about checking some of the route - as suspected, the resurfaced part has now bedded in (even has road markings again) and won't be a problem. So the route as was is now a goer, and I'll knock up the directions over the next few days, then post them on here so you can see what you're letting y'selves in for

Hoping the weather's good for the run, but not as hot as the last few days, or we'll be seeing large puddles of melted glass resin where there used to be a Stratos-looking thing...

Norm,
    i have forgot to put our names down, I have booked into the hotel ,
    regards carol

SEC Member

Don't fret, knew you were coming so you're on my list....mwahahahaaa!

SEC Member

Gang,

Here at last are the directions for the run a week on Saturday, a little later than usual cos I had to go and check a stretch last week that they’d just resurfaced with loose chippings when I originally tested the route. Anyhow all now seems OK, with just the odd loose stone pinging off the underside, so a re-route wasn’t necessary. Length of the drive is about 210 miles (!!) so a bit of a marathon, but there are very few nadgery bits and most of it is fast and flowing. Assuming the usual average of 30mph allowing for pee, petrol and pie stops, you’re looking at a 7-hour extravaganza…

For anyone who fancies just coming “on the day”, we’re kicking off from the SHAP WELLS HOTEL (off the A6, south of Shap itself) at 10:00. Of course you don’t have to come to the hotel, you can simply get right into it as the 1st section is up the A6 to Penrith anyway.

For those staying over, I’ve arranged for dinner at 8pm on the Friday to give peeps time to get there after work, etc. After the run on Saturday we’ll be sitting down at 7:30 so there’ll be plenty of time to freshen up before dinner, and then later for regaling others with tales of derring-do during the day, avoiding flying sheep etc.

Any questions, shout out, otherwise I’ll see y’all the weekend after next!

Laterz

Norm

Shap 2019.docx

The Northbound layby at the Carter Bar was having work done and was closed; they may have moved on to the southbound one, or it may all be open again.

Looks absolutely great and something I would jump at if it wasn't so far north.

Any chance of organising a weekend south of Manchester next year.....