Thread: Changing Tyres - What a Palaver!

Changing Tyres - What a Palaver!

So there's too much camber on the front of the car the last set wore unevenly, I need to sort that soon but my local tyre supplier struggled to get me a pair of 225*50*15's (Pirelli obviously!) and I ended up buying a pair online. Trouble with that is that there's not too many places will to fit online bought tyres around here anymore...

So this morning I ended up stuffing the new tyres, a new pair of rims and my bike in the back of the Alfa.. Drive down to the only tyre place around here that seems to entertain fitting your own tyres, cycle home, drop the bike, drive the Stratos back (by which time the queue was an hour long), explain that I want the new tyres on the old rims, and the old tyres on the new rims, confusion reigns but they get it in the end.. 20 minutes later tyres are swapped over and it's time to put the old tyres/new rims in the back of the Alfa, jump back in the Stratos and drive it back, pick up the bike, cycle back and collect the Alfa and get home to find out that the reason the Stratos felt light on the steering - tyres inflated to 35psi..

Fortunately this place thinks they can cope with 345's too. Cos I'll need a set of those swapping sometime in the next 2 years so I've got a full set of the correct size wheels for the second build to get offsets/suspension settings right..

Guy

SEC Member

Re: Changing Tyres - What a Palaver!

A Palaver indeed Guy!
    Getting Frederics fitted to the new rims he collected from Gerry before Stoneleigh was a little less daunting.
    But we had to visit three different places before it was complete.
    First fitted the tyres on the rims ok but couldn't inflate them due to the gap between the tyre and the rim, and they had no bead blaster.
    Second place had the bead blaster and inflated the tyres perfectly but the rim wouldn't fit on their balancer so we had to move on again!

Jeepers Guy,s, I didn't realise how lucky I am, our local independent £10 a tyre, fitted and balanced!!!, on my way back home in 45 mins.

That's what I paid too, it'd just be so much easier if could have got the spare tyres in the Stratos. One journey instead of three. Beginning tithing that the next car might have to have to be a replica of the Acroplois car with the roof mounted spare...

SEC Member

Tow hitch on the Stratos and a small box trailer. Sorted!

If neither Craig nor Gerry do a towbar option, maybe that's another candidate for the club to manufacture?

I'm now imagining a trailer with an old set of coffin spokes, Alitalia livery and maybe a spoiler, going to the tip behind a Stratos. That'd deffo get some stares

Comas probably owns the design.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erik Raffaella tow bar.jpg  
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

SEC Member

Damn....thought I'd got there first. Oh well.

Wonder if he has different "tow" settings for the rear wheels... OK, I'll go now