Thread: looking for a STR

looking for a STR

hi all im looking a STR left hand drive should be in good condition
    please provide me with pics history and some details of the car

thanks

Re: looking for a STR

Hi
    Are you looking specifically for a Lister Bell STR or any Stratos ?

P

any stratos but should be a perfect replica

Quote Originally Posted by khundaqji View Post
    a perfect replica
    Hmmmm...
    Richard C

Quote Originally Posted by khundaqji View Post
    any stratos but should be a perfect replica
    No such thing yet although there is a steel tubbed project available on another thread? I would anticipate a price of £200k for the components and a similar total needed to finish the build. At those total you may be better looking for an original?

There aren't many LHD replica cars in the UK and few come up for sale. The reason being that anyone going to that length in a RHD market is doing it for a labour of love and unlikely to ever want to sell.

If you're after a LHD car and don't have the time or ability to build it yourself I'd recommend that you approach both Craig at LB Cars and Gerry at Hawk Cars to discuss a turn key car and be prepared to be patient as both companies have significant waiting lists for their projects. And if you're really serious I'd recommend visiting both companies to discuss your requirements.

Finally I'd also strongly recommend that you check the legalities of registration of an amateur built car in whichever country the car is to remain. It's a bit of a shame to spend £50 - £60k on a car that you cannot register for road use where you live. Assuming that you want to drive it on the road?

Guy

Another option if you can't find a LHD car and can't wait for a factory build is to consider a RHD car and have it converted to LHD.

I've done that with my own car (a Hawk) and it's possible, the earlier the chassis the easier it is BUT it's a compromise as the Hawk chassis is not symmetrical around the centre line, just like the original. A converted car will have a narrower footwell than is ideal. If your feet are larger that size 9 (EU 42) it probably won't be safe. Size 9 and below you're still going to need race boots.

I can't comment on the possibilities of converting a LB for RHD to LHD other than to say their steering rack, with it's centre pinion, should make the job a little cheaper. Relatively.

Finally you havn't asked for body style? I assume that's so you don't rule out any cars? But what do you want? Stradale, Group 4 in round or square arch or Giro d'Italia? Lamp pod or none? Roof spoiler and roof scoop? So many options!

Good luck with your search - I fear it may be a long one.

Guy