Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chairman's Rant, July 2019

Re: Chairman's Rant, July 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Stableblock View Post
    All good stuff, makes me smile to think that the value of my car when I finally finish it (Paintshop booked for the start of Autumn now!) will approach the value of a proper one when I started to build it over 30 years ago!!
    Oooh....exciting stuff Peter. Looking forward to seeing that soon then. ;-)

SEC Member

yes should just be bolt the bits back on after that, cant possibly take another 30 years!

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    So, it’s not a case of a £55k Stratos replica OR an Exige, it’s what Stratos replica to go alongside the Exige
    Blimey Jim, have you been spying into my garage? Although I'm definitely in the OR camp not AND!

No point leaving the money in the bank doing nothing, picked it up last weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1147.jpg   IMG_1153.jpg  

Very Nice !

Superb!! I'm sure it will go like the clappers!!

Thanks.

Yes it is rather rapid, not that mad that it scares you, although I am still running it in!

Anyone currently building a LB with the same supercharged Toyota engine (Norm?) is in for some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    Thanks.

Yes it is rather rapid, not that mad that it scares you, although I am still running it in!
    That goes back to Chairman Mao's other point tho. There's a real tipping point where you need all the high tec stuff switched on because there's more power than you can handle with all the gizmos turned off. I think Lotus have always been on the money in that regard. My Ultima is 650BHP and has no driver aids whatever. It's fab for pub talk but the reality on the road is that it's a prod of the accelerator away from being very scary indeed. An STR with 300ish or even up to 350 BHP sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    That goes back to Chairman Mao's other point tho. There's a real tipping point where you need all the high tec stuff switched on because there's more power than you can handle with all the gizmos turned off. I think Lotus have always been on the money in that regard.
    I wonder for how long, new Chinese investment and a desire to make the brand into something that can rival McLaren with all electric hyper car may change the Lotus ethos.

I do believe the current push by governments for the supposed 'green' electric vehicles will be upon us quicker than we think, where will that leave enthusiasts like us on this forum who enjoy tinkering with oily mechanical bits?

Current crop of electric vehicles only last around 10 years so perhaps by 2030 we'll be back in fashion!

SEC Member

Very nice Nick....did you build it yourself? (Old Skool Lotus eh!)
    Mate of mine's got one, bought it new 4 years ago - he'll be in it on the Northern Drive-Out in a few weeks. He loves it, and I came close to getting one, but it's too obviously related to my old S1 Elise I had yonks ago, and I can't help thinking of that when I'm in it!

Jim, your point regarding "too much power" is noted... but I like to think I have enough self-control (read: "fear") to be sure I'll be OK if the motor in my LB really does turn out to have 420bhp. I'm still piloting my ZZR1400 - 2 wheels, 593lb (269kg), over 200bhp. Never had it flat out or anywhere near the red line, never needed to - even 2-up and in top gear you only have to tweak the throttle and it pulls like a train. Amazing how following things, seen in the mirror, get so small, so fast...

My initial point about "nannying stuff" was more to do with blind spot monitoring, lane warning, etc. etc. that stops you having to think, rather than electronics that enable you to make the choice to dial it back a bit. Although I'm still not convinced by that either really...OK, I'm a Luddite. Anybody got any cotton looms they want smashing up??

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Amazing how following things, seen in the mirror, get so small, so fast...
    I remember a fine August evening 4 years ago smiling as I dispatched some sort of Volkswagen Golf on a twisty back road heading home In my Ultima and watching it get so small, so fast in the side mirrors. ..... Then watching it get bigger again through the side window, then the windscreen, then the other side window, then the windscreen again and then... well, I think I got a few more spins and lots of opportunities to see it catching up with me. My view of it ended up being ruined by the hedgerow and tree branches but the driver was good enough to stop and check I was ok. Nearly £48k insurance claim and only 9 months of rebuild down at the Factory later I was back on the road again. Don't think I've overtaken a Golf ever since