Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chairman's Rant, July 2019

Re: Chairman's Rant, July 2019

'I do believe the current push by governments for the supposed 'green' electric vehicles will be upon us quicker than we think, where will that leave enthusiasts like us on this forum who enjoy tinkering with oily mechanical bits?'

Nick, the difficulty is energy density, it only takes a couple of minutes to refuel a petrol/diesel vehicle and have a 300+ mile range, to do that in a electric car takes at least an hour, so your average service station can refuel 20+ cars per hour x number of pumps, whereas you can recharge 1 electric car per hour x number of charging stations. So the major drawback to journey times will be as the number of pure electric cars on the road increases. When you also consider that the UK does not have the electrical generating capacity (or plan to) to power all the stuff it already does + an all electric car population, its very easy to see that hybrid petrol/diesel/hydrogen - electric vehicles will be here for a significant time, for anybody doing long journeys outside an urban environment. So don't worry hydro-carbons are going to be around much longer than us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sando View Post
    Never thought I’d say it,......but even as one of the Oldskool, I would still have to think twice if someone with £50k+ burning a hole in their pocket wanted my Hawk now. As much I have loved (and still do love) and constantly keep it 100% reliable and used as it should be. Life moves on, there’s a lot you can do with that sort of money and still have change for something to have fun in/on/pilot.
    ..Dark thoughts! But you never know........Really didn’t think I’d ever say that!
    Exactly. If I ever do get a Stratos on the road again, and the values are comparable to now, then I would have to immediately sell it. At £25k, I'd keep it, £40k to £50k, and it's goodbye Stratos.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    So Mick's old Spyder chassis 12V Alfa Transformer, or this?:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...0-2017/9053430
    Nick's V6 Exige purchase, backs up this point I made earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Exactly. If I ever do get a Stratos on the road again, and the values are comparable to now, then I would have to immediately sell it. At £25k, I'd keep it, £40k to £50k, and it's goodbye Stratos.
    Likewise - Then again as mine is a total bitsa kit being built by a "weirdo in a shabby shed" or more often outside a shabby shed - Getting it finished asap and looking out for a wannabee Stratosser with more money than sense seems like a reet good plan.

SEC Member

They're deffo out there....along along with the truth, if you believe, apparently.

Have you good people seen the Business Insider 5th Avenue, New York, 1900 and 1913 photography? 1900 - horses everywhere and one car. 1913 - only cars.
    My soon to be delivered Tesla will cover 350 miles on an overnight charge from home with power being delivery by offshore wind farms or my PV panels. It will charge at 1000mph at a Tesla Charger when I am on holiday somewhere. It will largely drive itself.
    It will out drag pretty much every internal combustion engined car to 60 driven by my wife with the kids in the back and me asleep in the passenger seat! (4.1s 0-60).
    My Stratos, running on carburettors and a single wire powering the electronic ignition hidden in the distributor, remains a sublime means of transport but the future for cars is electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Eustace View Post
    ........the future for cars is electric.
    I think so too, but I think purely electric on a large scale is some time away. Personally, I believe plug in hybrids will be more popular for some time, certainly down in this part of the world. Public transport in NZ is pretty poor when compared to most other countries, most people are very attached to their cars and commuting times are on the increase as a falsely inflated housing market keeps increasing, overdue for a crash.

Lunch table chat the other day turned to Tesla, the thinking was Elon may get out of cars and concentrate on supplying batteries to all the major car manufacturers.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

Norm,

You seen to have set a trend with your 'rant'; see what Andy Palmer CEO of Aston Martin has to say.https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/t...ical-idea-full

Gordon

Paul,
    All your comments about the performance/range of your soon to be delivered Tesla are really valid, but you miss the essential point: (info from Tesla)

How long does it take to charge a Tesla Model 3 at home?>>
    Level 3 Superchargers can take a Tesla from 0-170 miles range in just 30 minutes. It can get to 80% full in just 40 minutes.>>
    How long does it take to charge a Tesla Model 3 on a supercharger?>>
    They take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100% on the original 85 kWh Model S.

which brings me back to the point, the difficulty is energy density, it only takes a couple of minutes to refuel a petrol/diesel vehicle and have a 300+ mile range, to do that in a electric car takes at least an hour, so your average service station can refuel 20+ cars per hour x number of pumps, whereas you can recharge 1 electric car per hour x number of charging stations. So the major drawback to journey times will be as the number of pure electric cars on the road increases. What happens when you arrive at your charging point, and you are fourth in the queue to use it?

It is for that reason that Fingers and I are in agreement, Phevs' (Petrol hybrid electric vehicle) are the immediate future, the current infrastructure, when combined with the range of current EV's, will not allow or support the immediate and wholesale transfer from hydrocarbon to purely electric propulsion. When I say infrastructure, I also am including the UK electrical generating capacity, We don't as a country generate enough electricity to power all the vehicles on UK roads if they are solely electrically powered.
    Once the range for the average EV is beyond 400miles, then a EV will be a viable choice in a rural environment, and allow the vast majority of long journeys without stop. To visit friends and family in either Cornwall or The Lake District from here is 330 miles, I can just about manage it in a hydrocarbon car, and a fuel stop if required takes a matter of minutes. In a Tesla I could get to about 300 miles, an then need a recharge, I can't getter anywhere near that in my Nissan Leaf/VW Golf e, and will need to make at least two intermediate stops of an hour plus (assuming I'm not fourth in the queue-otherwise it'll be longer) for the same journey.

With a Phev, you use the current highly developed and available infrastructure, energy density is very high, it takes a very short time to refuel, and you get most of the environmental advantages to boot. I should add that during the 2012 London Olympics I had the opportunity to drive home in both experimental BMW 3 series and a Mini electric vehicles (55 mile round trip) leaving the Olympic site with a full charge, in summer daylight and fine weather, it was touch and go whether I got back to the site the following morning, to the extent that I turned the air-con and radio off to save electricity. Which illustrates how quickly things have improved around battery technology/energy density, and the consequent improvement in potential range.
    Last edited by Griff; 13-07-2019 at 19:20. Reason: additional info

SEC Member

From observations at motorway services and particularly with regard to Tesla I would suggest that Tesla are ahead of the game in provision of charging points to the number of cars on the road. From what I've seen you would never have to queue to charge up. If the number of cars on the road increase they would add further charging points.
    On a 300 mile journey you should be stopping for rest breaks equivalent to any necessary charging time ( CPC training) no matter what vehicle you are driving HGV or not.