Thread: Help needed with brakes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SEC Member

Help needed with brakes

Hi All,
    Just need advise on brakes on my Litton, Currently I am using Alfa 164 (24V) front calipers (I think they are 57mm piston) and I am using a pedal box set up, using 0625 cylinders both back and front. ( Lancia Beta rear calipers) I do not know the pedal ratio, and braided hoses thru out the car.
    Problem is I cannot get the front brakes to work, It is like I am not putting enough pressure on the front brakes even if I adjust the bias totally to the front. Is it possible the .625 cylinder is too small for the Alfa calipers.
    Normally with this type set up you would have a solid pedal but I still have travel in mine, I have tried many different ways bleeding the brakes and I think (or maybe not) I do have them fully bled ! But at this stage I am totally confused,
    I would love to move away front this set up and get a four pot calipers but the offset on the wheels limits its. What calipers do fit the Alfa set up anyone know ?
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks,
    Gerard

Re: Help needed with brakes

I don't have access to my data until I'm home next week, but I'll post then. I doubt if you have enough rear effort.
    I have the 164 fronts, Wilwood 4-pot rears and a dual servo. Yes, a real mongrel which will have many grimacing! This is on a Hawk which only has a 4:1 (IIRC) pedal ratio. I can't remember my master cylinder size offhand as I've been through several.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCar6 View Post
    I don't have access to my data until I'm home next week, but I'll post then. I doubt if you have enough rear effort.
    I have the 164 fronts, Wilwood 4-pot rears and a dual servo. Yes, a real mongrel which will have many grimacing! This is on a Hawk which only has a 4:1 (IIRC) pedal ratio. I can't remember my master cylinder size offhand as I've been through several.
    Thank you,
    Forgot to say I do not have a servo fitted

Alfa 164 24v front calipers are indeed 57mm. Alfa 164 M/C 0.937” 23 mm / Bendix OE 22.2mm
    Beta rear caliper = 34mm = 907sqmm

Hawk brake pedal ratio is 4:1

Bigger M/C = less travel/more effort required

My M/C setup is - 0.75" front 0.7” rear with dual servo https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...te-brake-servo

FRONT 164 24v floating 57mm
    Piston area 5104 sq.mm.
    Pad area 50sq.cm 7.75 sq.in
    Disc diameter 284mm

REAR setup willwood 4pots https://www.wilwood.com/calipers/Cal...0-8729&appid=0
    3 sq.in. pistons 19.35 sq.cm.
    pad area 5 sq in 32.26 sq.cm
    disc diameter 284mm

Balance depends a bit on your front/rear weight split, but using figures from other Strats, for the front and rears to lock at the same time at 0.9G negative acceleration the ideal ratio should be 52% front and 48% rear.
    I think you have much more on the front - what diameter discs do you have on the back? I am sure someone can come up with the mathematical equations for integrating M/C, caliper piston area/ disc diameter into simple model, but I relied on Martin Kift!
    Last edited by ChrisCar6; 16-07-2019 at 23:29.

SEC Member

Has Martin Kifts information disappeared for good?

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Has Martin Kifts information disappeared for good?
    Yes John,
    As far as I know, he was never a member of this (new) forum.
    I kept a very lengthy email message from him, regarding the set up and use of the Honda engined Hawk rally car.
    There's nothing on brakes within that. That car had 6R4 discs all round with no servo.

My Shades has a pair of 5/8” mcs and 4pot AP racing calipers on AP ventilated 300mm disks front and back. Hard pads and no servo. Admittedly the balance bar is at max priority to the front but I am very happy now with the balance under braking.

If you dont know, it is important to set the mc push rods so the bar it parallel to the bulkhead (or orthogonal to the push rods) under max brake pedal pressure.
    Last edited by Lancialulu; 17-07-2019 at 10:14.