Thread: Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

Hi guys

Some time back someone posted a link to a supplier (I think on E-bay) who was selling retaining spring clips for the Lancia Beta glove-box locks commonly used for Stratos boot lids.

I have 2 NOS locks - one is slightly smaller and less robust and the other is the one I want to use which is larger and has a plastic handled Lancia key. The key dimension (pardon the pun) is the width of the slot for the retaining clip. On my lock it is 26mm.

Does anyone know where I can get a retaining clip for it ?

Thanks

Peter

Re: Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

I bought a boot lock from Chris and ordered a clip for a Vespa it should fit I am away at the moment but think it came from Cardiff I'll pm you when I get back if you haven't came up with one

The original octagonal body locks used a 20mm clip. So they're too small for the Beta glovebox lock.

However, I suddenly had a brain wave:
    I've got a couple of original 1300 Fiat X1/9 glovebox lock clips here, and guess what, I've just measured one, and they're 26mm.
    I think the original Beta glovelock clips don't have radiused corners like the 1300 X1/9 clip, but hey ho. If the X1/9 clips fits, that would be a result.

'Like this:
    https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-88...973-78-u8.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot Lock Types.jpg   Boot Lock Clips.jpg  
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 17-09-2019 at 10:17.

Thanks Chris - very clear descriptions. As it happens I have one of each of the two types you show, but the one I want to use (beacuse it is stronger) is the Beta Series 1 lock. So , thanks to your help I will look for an X19 clip. I've also made enquiries on the width of the clip used for a LR Discovery which seems to be similar in size.
    I remember the Vespa reference (when posted earlier) - but now I know the dimension at 20mm - it is too small.

Thanks to all for your prompt help . Chris if you have a spare X19 26mm clip I'll happily buy it from you ! (the MidWest Bayless item is OOS. - plus the Import Tax and Delivery cost would make for an expensive clip!)

Peter
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 17-09-2019 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    Thanks to all for your prompt help . Chris if you have a spare X19 26mm clip I'll happily buy it from you ! (the MidWest Bayless item is OOS. - plus the Import Tax and Delivery cost would make for an expensive clip!)
    Peter
    Peter,
    You can have the X1/9 glove box lock clip for free.
    I'll post it.

The reason I've got it spare, is from cannibalising X1/9 glovebox locks for their lock barrels.
    You can make a non locking 124 Sedan/Berlina glovebox lock, into a locking version, using a 1300 X1/9 glove box lock barrel.
    The middle of the non locking knob just pops out, and the X1/9 lock barrel is a straight swap.
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 17-09-2019 at 14:50.

Free user

Another option is to make one from a flat piece of stock, cut out a barely intefering shape that fits the boot lock and bend the edge up at a 90 degree angle so you can tap it home. I was surprised at first, but it works great on mine.

Many thanks Chris - I'll pm you my details (in case you no longer have them!) You are obviously a connoisseur of Fiat variant glove box locks - an esoteric subject for most of us!

Thanks again

Peter

Thanks Kenny