Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

Hi guys

Some time back someone posted a link to a supplier (I think on E-bay) who was selling retaining spring clips for the Lancia Beta glove-box locks commonly used for Stratos boot lids.

I have 2 NOS locks - one is slightly smaller and less robust and the other is the one I want to use which is larger and has a plastic handled Lancia key. The key dimension (pardon the pun) is the width of the slot for the retaining clip. On my lock it is 26mm.

Does anyone know where I can get a retaining clip for it ?

Thanks

Peter

Re: Help please - Boot lock retaining clip

I bought a boot lock from Chris and ordered a clip for a Vespa it should fit I am away at the moment but think it came from Cardiff I'll pm you when I get back if you haven't came up with one

The original octagonal body locks used a 20mm clip. So they're too small for the Beta glovebox lock.

However, I suddenly had a brain wave:
    I've got a couple of original 1300 Fiat X1/9 glovebox lock clips here, and guess what, I've just measured one, and they're 26mm.
    I think the original Beta glovelock clips don't have radiused corners like the 1300 X1/9 clip, but hey ho. If the X1/9 clips fits, that would be a result.

'Like this:
    https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-88...973-78-u8.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot Lock Types.jpg   Boot Lock Clips.jpg  
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 17-09-2019 at 10:17.

Thanks Kenny

Thanks Chris - very clear descriptions. As it happens I have one of each of the two types you show, but the one I want to use (beacuse it is stronger) is the Beta Series 1 lock. So , thanks to your help I will look for an X19 clip. I've also made enquiries on the width of the clip used for a LR Discovery which seems to be similar in size.
    I remember the Vespa reference (when posted earlier) - but now I know the dimension at 20mm - it is too small.

Thanks to all for your prompt help . Chris if you have a spare X19 26mm clip I'll happily buy it from you ! (the MidWest Bayless item is OOS. - plus the Import Tax and Delivery cost would make for an expensive clip!)

Peter
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 17-09-2019 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    Thanks to all for your prompt help . Chris if you have a spare X19 26mm clip I'll happily buy it from you ! (the MidWest Bayless item is OOS. - plus the Import Tax and Delivery cost would make for an expensive clip!)
    Peter
    Peter,
    You can have the X1/9 glove box lock clip for free.
    I'll post it.

The reason I've got it spare, is from cannibalising X1/9 glovebox locks for their lock barrels.
    You can make a non locking 124 Sedan/Berlina glovebox lock, into a locking version, using a 1300 X1/9 glove box lock barrel.
    The middle of the non locking knob just pops out, and the X1/9 lock barrel is a straight swap.
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 17-09-2019 at 14:50.

Free user

Another option is to make one from a flat piece of stock, cut out a barely intefering shape that fits the boot lock and bend the edge up at a 90 degree angle so you can tap it home. I was surprised at first, but it works great on mine.

Many thanks Chris - I'll pm you my details (in case you no longer have them!) You are obviously a connoisseur of Fiat variant glove box locks - an esoteric subject for most of us!

Thanks again

Peter

Another option is to make one from a flat piece of stock, cut out a barely intefering shape that fits the boot lock and bend the edge up at a 90 degree angle so you can tap it home.
    Thanks Garrick - that was going to be my Plan B - but looks like Chris can help.

Whilst on this subject:

DON'T ever drop the boot lid onto the catch!

The black plastic part at the bottom will break. As we know, it's actually a glovebox lock, and it would never get that kind of abuse for the purpose it was designed for.
    If you look at the photo of the red coloured car above, (David Jowsey's Allora) the part at the bottom of that S1 Beta lock, has been fabricated by hand in steel, to replace the plastic part.