Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chairman's Rant - October 2019

SEC Member

Re: Chairman's Rant - October 2019

Think you're right, Chris, the turnkey-ers and those buying 2nd-hand aren't coming here. Funny really, cos you can bet a goodly number will have joined TIPEC or Porsche Club GB when they bought their 911s!

I don't think it's anything related to image - I think they simply don't know about us! Face it, as a club, we're tiny. Lancia Motor Club's got 4.5K members, we've got about 150. Think I'm gonna start going to events with an opened SEC umbrella to try and raise awareness, even if it's not raining

However. Further to how we're perceived by Those Out There, I received a message last week from someone about this very thing, and it made for very uncomfortable reading, cos we didn't come out well in it. I'm still ruminating about how to address the issue he raised and present it to the members...I think it's gonna warrant a separate topic, so watch out for it soon...

Oi... I'm a turnkey-er.
    Infact, you don't really get much less "tinkering in a shed" than moi.

Building your own car is a geeky thing. There's only so many geeks to go round. I think you can get a bit anal about why folk are here or not. I just come on to follow the build threads and look at the pictures and see if it inspires any thoughts about mine. It's worked well for me in that regard. Thanks to Norm I've decided to put carpet in my garage.

SEC Member

OK, so you and Graham (further above) are the exceptions to the rule...which possibly makes you even geekier than us...? But you get the gist, most peeps who buy turnkey - either new or used - don't bother/know about us. Suppose it could be considered anal in a way, but as Chairman I need to know what people are here for, what they want from the club, are we doing OK as is or...? ….and then ignore them

One of my other hobbies (I only work 8hrs / week so have lots of time for hobbies) is flying microlight aircraft. It's another fairly niche thing. There is a similar issue about trying to drive folk towards the various clubs. Previously Forums were central to things but nowadays everything is on Facebook. Now, in general terms folk who can afford to go flying or own aircraft tend to be a bit older so any mention of Facebook tends to get a bit of a frown or an "oh, I don't do Facebook" but it is where it's at these days.

Facebook is crap for things like build threads and proper content because it's all transient and not the best for searching. But .. there's lots of activity, lots of photos, lots of banter, lots of impromptu meets and sharing of info. I just checked and there's 7,426 members in the group which is about 7000 more than the number of pilots. Perhaps a more active Facebook presence for the club is needed. (maybe not tho.. just a thought)

We moved seamlessly (although with a bit of trepidation and worry) from the paper occasional newsletter to cd versions of it to the forum, which is just soooooo much more useful/flexible/ instant gratification, a whole phase shift. I can't see Faceache taking over in the same way for the reasons you mentioned.

Yup, and the former chairman of Thomas Cook said folk would never book their own holidays online without going into a high street shop and speaking to a real person.

The Ultima Forum section on Pistonheads was the font of all knowledge and THE place for information exchange for owners, builders and wannabes for yonks. Now it’s tumbleweed and dust with one post every month. Facebook tells me that just today there was 32 new posts, 7 photos and 2 videos in the last 24 hrs in one of the FB Ultima owners groups.

Anyhow, I’m not pushing for a shift to Facebook and don’t really care how many folk are here or why. It will never work for build threads anyhow. But like it or not, it has moved smaller forums into the dark ages.

SEC Member

We do already have a FB presence...I personally gave up on FB yonks back cos I find it too shallow/boring/unnecessary. But that doesn't stop me having a quick shuftie without signing in to see who's posted what, so I can keep up with stuff. Far as I can see, the Forum and FB do two different jobs, so room for the both of them.

For what it's worth - I'm happy with things the way they are, with a couple of runs and a few garage days every year, plus the AGM. I'd probably also pop along to a local meet, if there was one in this area, and I think the forum is a great way for a diverse bunch of peeps to stay in touch. So if everyone else is happy, that'll do me - job done

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Think you're right, Chris, the turnkey-ers and those buying 2nd-hand aren't coming here. Funny really, cos you can bet a goodly number will have joined TIPEC or Porsche Club GB when they bought their 911s!

I don't think it's anything related to image - I think they simply don't know about us! Face it, as a club, we're tiny. Lancia Motor Club's got 4.5K members, we've got about 150. Think I'm gonna start going to events with an opened SEC umbrella to try and raise awareness, even if it's not raining

However. Further to how we're perceived by Those Out There, I received a message last week from someone about this very thing, and it made for very uncomfortable reading, cos we didn't come out well in it. I'm still ruminating about how to address the issue he raised and present it to the members...I think it's gonna warrant a separate topic, so watch out for it soon...
    Correction: Lancia Motor Club has (only) 1250 members and is still the biggest Lancia Club in the world.

SEC Member

I would be concerned that we would loose all control and data retention etc if we moved over to facebook (which I should say I dont use). I imagine these things evolve by themselves to some extent but we should remember the loss of the supersite and learn from that.

Peter