Newark kit car show

Just seen they are holding the Newark kit car show in September 2020 again

SEC Member

Re: Newark kit car show

Where did you hear about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Where did you hear about that?
    Complete Kit Car mag put an announcement on FB yesterday.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Ah, OK, so early days, which is why I couldn't find it anywhere else yet.

So, with this, and the new Kitfest at Santa Pod in June this year, are we seeing some kind of resurgence of the kit car industry? - or are they being organised by people who just want to see a few more events on the calendar?
    Should be interesting to see if they can offer something that Stoneleigh doesn't, to make their own mark, so to speak.

SEC Member

Stoneleigh is not the show it was. Maybe other venues are trying to make an inroad?

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    So, with this, and the new Kitfest at Santa Pod in June this year, are we seeing some kind of resurgence of the kit car industry? - or are they being organised by people who just want to see a few more events on the calendar?
    Should be interesting to see if they can offer something that Stoneleigh doesn't, to make their own mark, so to speak.
    From the brief press release I've seen then it looks to be organised by the same people who run Stoneleigh. There were many rumours about the future of the Stoneleigh show this year even during the show itself.
    With spiralling costs vs attendance and the effect HS2 has on the site then its future was unsure. That said next years Stoneleigh date was confirmed soon after albeit on slightly unusual days because of the revised bank holiday due to VE day celebrations.
    Newark was branded as an alternative venue over the course of the weekend so I wonder if the organisers are hedging their bets and covering their bases.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

in that case, we shouldn't expect anything much that's different from Stoneleigh, but that's fair enough. All those Stoneleigh rumours did prompt a bit of a discussion between a few of the Committee members over alternative AGM venues, but it wasn't conclusive as we heard next year's event is going ahead, so no immediate rush to make any changes. If it does end up that Newark replaces Stoneleigh, then that's as good as anywhere for an AGM - still central-ish and easy enough to get to (or even easier for some, eh Craig? )
    Problem with running both shows is though, can the manufacturers afford to attend both? Will we end up with some at one and the others at the other? Can't see the public being too enthusiastic about going to a show that's worse than what they already have...the organisers will have considered all that and planned for it, though. Er, won't they....?

Good point there Norm, I will be attending both next year, santa pod is still not on my radar for a while yet though

I'm sure the Newark show was the 1st Kit Cat show I ever went to. Must have been about 2001. I was passing by on my way to Centre Parcs in Elveden Forest, Norfolk. Would have been cheaper to by a Robin Hood kit car back then that it was to have a long weekend in Centre Parcs.

SEC Member

Gosh, Center Parcs...forgot all about them. Remember dropping someone off at the one near Penrith a good while ago and with the barrier and the small hut beside it with the uniformed officials, it felt like I'd wandered into some WW2 movie or other.
    Also remember my brother-in-law (as was) back in the day, taking his wife and 2 young kids there for a break. When they got back, the girls' gran asked one of them where she'd been to. She said, "we went into the woods and slept in sheds".
    ….Nuff said eh?

Tim, coulda sworn I saw that 4500 number of club members somewhere recently. Must be confused and that'll be the age of the oldest member, or how long it's been going, or summat...