Thread: Rear Strut Caster?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SEC Member

Rear Strut Caster?

So I’ve been measuring up the rear of the car as I’m designing some new uprights and have come across a bit of an anomaly (or not?).

after measuring up the chassis i noticed in CAD that the centre point of the top strut mount appeared to be 25mm further forward that the centre point of the bottom wishbone chassis pivot point. Assuming i had buggered up a measurement (too many safety beers?) I double checked and the strut definitely leans forward by around 3 deg. So some neg caster to help align under drive? but the issue I see is the bottom arm pivots on a pin, not a ball, so doesn't allow for any rotation of the upright to align with the angle of the strut.

Obviously there is enough compliance in everything to make it work, but not really ideal? or am i getting worried about nothing? I plan to run a much bigger nylanthane bush on the inner mount which will help out, and spherical bearings and a re-design of the arm setup (adjustable toe link) so should have that degree of freedom.

Anyone else looked into this? This is the first competition car I've been involved in running struts so a bit of new territory for me!

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RearStrutCaster.jpg