Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Brookes

Russell Brookes

Russell Brookes passed away today, aged 74

While we all tend to look back on the past more fondly, there was something truly magical about the 70s and 80s for British rallying where iconic cars and legendary drivers duked it out on some epic stages. Today it's with great sadness that the motorsport world is remembering one of the greats from that time, as Russell Brookes has passed away at the age of 74.
    While having rallied Lotus Sunbeams, 911s, Delta Integrales and Minis in his time, Brookes is arguably best known for his exploits in an 'Andrew's Heat for Hire' Manta 400.

I was part of the service team that looked after him in the Group A Mini on the 1994 RAC, and last saw him looking very frail on the Mintex this April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8huo09xb8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brookes Cork 20.jpg   Manta 400.jpg  
    Last edited by Griff; 03-11-2019 at 17:11.

Re: Russell Brookes

The Andrew's liveried cars are a vivid part of my memories of rallying from when I was a growing up.

RIP Russell.

Yeah - he was the man back in the day. I remember it well (as some old Frenchman once said !! One Maurice Chevalier as I recall)

Russell also drove the Stratos on the Cork rally in the early 1980's

SEC Member

So just let me get this straight, Pete - you remember remembering it well??? But do you remember whatever it was that you were remembering, or was it the remembering that was the important thing and the thing you were remembering wasn't that big a deal??

It's no wonder we've got the peeps in the club that we have....all rejected from other, more regular and discerning, motoring organizations...

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    So just let me get this straight,..all rejected from other, more regular and discerning, motoring organizations...
    Speak for yourself Norm, Carol, myself and Russell are all members of the same club, we are all from the same era. Russell was a respected member of Ecurie Cod Fillet and will be sadly missed by us all.
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 02-11-2019 at 01:04.

SEC Member

So true. Sadly to be missed by all who loved the sport as it was.
    I imagine Russel will be getting the best of send offs, if that what his family wish, he was respected by all.

SEC Member

Ecurie Cod Fillet? There ya go, a proper slippery bunch.

I remember (yes, really) seeing Russell in the Andrews motors back in the 70s on the RAC as was. I was only saying to Richard earlier today when we were talking about this, that you always think of these people as being forever in the first flush of youth and fit and healthy. Then you remember it was 40 years ago...
    As it happens, I don't actually think I was ever any of those 3 things so it's kinda hard to be disappointed with life

Ecurie Cod Fillet was created in 1955 by Roy Fidler and John Hopwood. They were stalwarts of the Stockport Motor Club and had both gained a reputation for winning rallies. By trade, Roy was a fish merchant and that quickly led to his earning the nickname "King Cod‟. He and John even won a Stockport daylight rally driving the company fish van, a VW Transporter, when his Triumph Herald rally car was not fit for use.
    In a dig at all the Squadras and Ecuries of the day, the pair began to enter and compete under the title Ecurie Cod Fillet. The ECF badge depicting a filleted cod emanates from this period and was soon to be seen on the cars of many other top competitors. Typically John would be seen at the start of the events rushing around fellow competitors collecting team entry fees so that he could enter as many permutations as possible to ensure ECF would win the Team Prize. ECF was beginning to take the form of a club, but not one to which you could pay a subscription and join.
    ECF was, and still is, an invitation-only club and it became quite an honour to be asked to become a member. Eligibility in those early days was attained by winning a Motoring News rally, a feat that was no easier then than it was to become in the late sixties and early seventies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ecurie Cod Fillet.jpg  

SEC Member

What a great bit of history!