Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawk Wiper Motor Park Problems

Hawk Wiper Motor Park Problems

At long last I have managed to complete all the wiring on my build, and everything is working apart from the park function on my wiper set up. I am using a Lucas type wiper unit supplied by Gerry and I believe it was supplied to him by SVC.

I am also using the standard X19 stalk to control it. The wipers perform perfectly on both slow and fast speed but I cannot get them to park. Thanks to the wiring diagram that I found on the site for the stalks the actual wiring seemed fairly simple. I am using the white wire on the stalk loom as the feed wire to the wiper motor park terminal in the plug as per the stalk wiring diagram. I believe this should be sending 12v's to this terminal to activate the park switch in the motor, I have tested the circuit but there appears to be no feed to the white wire hence no parking.

Having looked at several forums to gain some knowledge on how the system should work I then tried to apply a separate fused permanent 12v feed to the park terminal on the motor, this did nothing either apart from blowing the fuse!! Looking further into information on forums it would appear that I may need to introduce relay's into the system to get the park function to operate but this is now making my head really hurt trying to understand how to wire these.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so could you share how you managed to resolve it.

Re: Hawk Wiper Motor Park Problems

Hi Chris - not sure if this will help or hinder as the notes were made years ago and column stalks/wiring colours vary. Plus my notes aren't as clear to me now as they were when I made them but I too have the X19/Lucas set up. I've drawn a picture of the Fiat 6 blade connector block with the locating tags at the top, blades numbered 1 to 3 (left to right) on the upper row and 4 to 6 (left to right) on the lower row. The Lucas connector on the motor has 5 connections and they're as numbered on the connector. My instructions read as follows:

A. From a fused ignition controlled fuse run a yellow/black wire to the Fiat connecter position 5. (I assume I've specced that colour wire to match what's in my stalk assembly.)
    B. Run a red/white wire from Fiat 6 to Lucas 5.
    C. Run a grey wire from Fiat 2 to Lucas 3.
    D. Run a black/white wire from Fiat 4 to Lucas 2.
    E. Run a black wire from Lucas 1 to Earth.
    F. Run a blue/yellow wire from a fused, ignition controlled live to Lucas 4.

There are two ways to make the wiper park on the left or right side of the screen if it stops in the wrong place.

Either dismantle the wiper motor, remove the large white cog and remove the plastic bridge and replace it 180 degrees around the cog and resemble or dismantle the wheel box where the drive cable enters it, turn the wheel box 180 degrees and reassemble. Whichever method you choose will depend on ease of access or the available space under the dash.

The shorter you can keep the drive cable the better too, a long run allows it to stretch/compress when the blade drags across the screen leading to an inconsistent arc of travel.

Hope this helps.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mayers; 31-12-2019 at 13:58.

Hopefully the connections you've got from the Fiat stalks to the Lucas connector match what I've described and it's steps E & F that will sort the park issue?
    Guy

And just found some more notes that might help....

There are 2 types of Fiat stalks out there, both have a row of 6 riveted connections from left to right on type 1 the wiring colours are

1. Unused
    2. White
    3. White/Black
    4. Grey
    5. Yellow/Black
    6. Red

The second type appears to have 2 variants as follows
    1. White
    2. White/ Black
    3. Yellow OR White
    4. Grey
    5. Yellow/Black
    6. Red OR Blue/Red

More to follow!

For Type 1 Stalks:

A. Join the white wire on connection 2 to the red wire connection 6 and connect to Lucas position 5.
    B. Join the white/black wire to Lucas position 2.
    C. Join the Grey wire to Lucas position 3.
    D. Yellow/black is the ignition controlled live feed to the stalks.

The pin pattern on the wiper motor (and the plug looking at it from the the wire entry side):
    1. Top - this is earthed
    2. Upper Right - connect to stalk 4 - Grey
    3. Upper Left - connect to stalk 3 - White/Black
    4. Lower Right - fused, ignition controlled live.
    5. Lower Left - connect to stalk 2 White and 6 Red.

Guy

For Type 2 Stalks:

A. Join the white/black wire on connection 2 to the Red (or Blue/Red) on connection 6 to Lucas 5.
    B. Join the yellow (or white) wire on connection 3 to Lucas Position 2.
    C. Join the grey to Lucas position 3.
    D. Yellow/Black us the ignition controlled live feed to the stalks.

On the Lucas plug the top connection is earthed and you still need a new power feed to plug connection 4.

Thanks Guy for taking the time for such an in-depth reply . I will have a go tomorrow at sorting the problem and let you know how I got on.

No problem Chris. Has the wiper motor been modified for the correct sweep? If not the part you need is Lucas part number WGB221.

If you haven't installed an intermittent wiper relay yet, you really should. This is one of the quintessential OEM+ upgrades for our cars.

Pictured, and factored into the total number for sale, are 3 #198 (1HM 955 531 B) relays which have the same function as the #99 (531 955 531) relays.

One of these relays allows you to set the frequency of the wiper blade function from 1.5 seconds to 22 seconds of operation delay. It is a direct replacement for the common #19 wiper relay as found in various European cars. Because the delay function is built into the actual relay, there is no need for new wiring or a new wiper stalk -- simply plug this one in in place of your old #19 or 191 955 531 relay.

In order to programme the relay, you move the wiper lever to the intermittent on position then move it to off. After waiting the desired amount of delay time, you then move the wiper lever back down to the intermittent on position.

I have it so that intermittent is on position 1, slow on position 2, and fast on position 3.

OEM part number191 955 531, hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiper wiring stratos.jpg   vag relays.jpg  

Sorted!! All I had to do was connect a wire from the white and black wire (2)in the fiat loom terminal block to the red wire (6) in the same block and it work’s perfectly.

Thanks once again Guy for such detailed advice.

Griff. Thanks for the advice on the intermittent wipe function, I will have a go at this next.