Thread: Wanted - new column stalk set

Wanted - new column stalk set

I've been messing about trying to get my wipers to park and whatever I do , they wont b**** park. They just stop where they are when switched off.

I have come to the conclusion that the switching on my column stalk set is defective. Everything else works OK.
    I am using the Car Builder Solution stalk set which is an approximation of the genuine Stratos stalks (but it follows the Fiat 132 layout pretty closely)

Can anyone advise where I can get a new set ?- preferably re-manufactured rather than NOS (I think any wiring on NOS components is going to be pretty ropey after 40 odd years).

Thanks

P

Re: Wanted - new column stalk set

Won’t be home until Monday evening to check what’s in the spares stock but I think I’ve got a spare set somewhere. If anyone else can help please jump in!
    Guy

SEC Member

Don't take this as gospel Peter. Wait until someone else comes along to confirm. But usually all the park function/terminal does on a wiper motor is supply 12 volts to the motor until it is switched off by a mechanical switch within the motor itself. At that point there is no further supply to the motor and it stops turning at that pre-set point.
    I think you should be able to test this by having a 12 volt feed wire in your hand, direct from the battery, and apply this direct to the relevant park terminal. See if that parks it correctly in the same or right place a few times. That way you would confirm if the motor is not getting the park supply as it should. If that is the case it may well follow that it's the switch, but even then you'd have to trace it through.
    Another way would be to put a meter on the output terminal on the switch for the park function and see if it flicks across to 12volrs when you turn the wipers off.
    I don't know if this is absolutely correct but it's what i would try if I was trying to sort this on my own.

Thanks Guy - that would be good.
    Thanks also John - I did try that with the 12V feed into the Park terminal on the motor and after a couple of stop/start rotations it blew the fuse. I took the plastic cover off the back of the motor which revealed the rotating wheel with the gap (the gap for the stop position) and it was full of grease which had spread from the motor shaft worm-drive and covered the rotating wheel terminal. I cleaned all this off but chickened out of trying the 12V contact into the park terminal again. After a lot more trial and error I concluded that the column switch set (the Car Builder Solution version - which is re-manufactured and frankly not to the same quality standard as the original Cavis units) was incapable of providing power from the switch to the park position on the wiper motor.
    Hence I now think it best to go for a "proper" stalk set - or at least one properly manufactured to OEM standards.
    However I will re-connect the stalk set I have a and try the voltage test you suggest when I switch it off - that should prove once and for all whether the CBS stalk set has this function.
    Thanks for the suggestion
    P

I just tried checking the power output from the "park" wire as John suggested and there is no sign of life whatsoever - in any position. So not sure what the "park" wire on the CBS stalk set is intended to do. I had imagined that this connection was hard-wired to the (battery?) power input to the stalk set when in the wiper "off" position.
    Anyway my take from this is - Dont buy the CBS stalk set ! Hence my quest for an OEM Fiat Stalk set.
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 22-02-2020 at 15:14.

SEC Member

So following on from that Peter the motor should park if you apply 12 volts to the motor terminal. You could do with borrowing a set to test your theory before shelling out. I guess you may be lucky. I did buy a set off ebay for £15. Cant remember what they were listed as but it wasn't X19, so look a bit wider than that. I looked at the plug colours and plumped for this set on the basis that they were the same as the X19 plug colours and when they arrived the wiring colours matched the X19 layout. Worth a punt on that basis if you see a set not listed as X19.

Midwest Bayless have a couple https://www.midwest-bayless.com/c-34...aspx?pagenum=2

and a couple here closer to home if you don't mind the later style. https://www.x19spares.co.uk/electric...hting-11-c.asp
    Last edited by Fingers; 22-02-2020 at 20:50.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

The 156 motor has internal electronics to deal with both the intermittent timer and the park facility.
    In the park position you should as John says find a 12v fused supply to pin 1 on the motor.
    In the intermittent position you should find a 12 supply to both pin 1 and pin 3 on the motor.
    Pins 5 and 6 are the only direct connections to the motor, pins 1 to 4 are connected through the internal electronics.
    The attached diagram is from the Alfa data sheets and shows the 156 motor and how the 156 switchgear is connected to the motor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alfa 156 Wiper Motor Circuit.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	15920
    Disregarding the column stalks you should be able to tease the motor into working by simply applying a 12v supply to the relevant terminals one by one to prove whether it is operating correctly or not.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 22-02-2020 at 21:07.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Is this what you're looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7290.jpg   IMG_7291.jpg   IMG_7289.jpg  

Thanks all for your comments and guidance. Yesterday afternoon I had a look on Ebay (before checking with the Forum) and saw a set of x19/124 stalks (NOS) - and despite my earlier comments on NOS decided to go for them. I'm hoping they will do the trick - but even if not I know they are more robust than the CBS ones. The ones I'm going for look very similar to the photo Chris has posted. I'm not after a 100% visual match to the originals and near enough is good enough for me - so long as they work! We will soon see!
    Thanks Craig for the wiper motor drawing - I have been pondering over this for a couple of weeks now - and it was by studying this that I realised that it could be the stalk-set that was causing the problem.
    Thanks again for all the helpful comments and offers of assistance.

Peter