Thread: LB vs Hawk?

SEC Member

LB vs Hawk?

Whats the pro's and con's of each? Are people still building new Hawk kits?

SEC Member

Re: LB vs Hawk?

Yes, people are still building new Hawks.
    If you are sold on the Toyota engine then I don't know what rea tion you would get from Hawk.
    I know what reaction you might have got at one time, asking for something different, but times have moved on.
    I don't think anyone has built a Toyota powered Hawk?
    These threads, in the past, have deteriorated somewhat, but I think these days there is much more mutual respect, and certainly so since the joker in the pack ( Gooch and Napiersport) have disappeared into a well earned oblivion.

My advice would be to go to Stoneleigh in May and make up your own mind after seeing both cars close up and personal and talking to the manufacturers and owners.

Whichever you choose be prepared for a long wait. Both companies have full order books as far as I know.

Guy

The joker in the pack.
    I wish I knew that when I bought all my bits of Corse I.
    I did phone Lionel once and I asked him what the difference was between a Hawk and Napiersport. He told me Hawks were for poseurs and Napiersports were fast road cars. Pity he didnt tell me about the dodgy rear wishbone design!!

Anyway you all helped me through to a successful outcome

SEC Member

Lionel took in more than one or two of us Steve.
    I took him on face value as a decent old guy and gave him an enormous amount of my time.
    It turned out he knew next to f**k all, had no moral compass and managed to use all of his own financial resources as well as a few other peoples.
    Sorry, rant over, but you are right a lot of folks have had to help each other over his failings.
    Thank goodness that both companies now involved in kit production are so much better.

SEC Member

I've seen both at stoneleigh a few years ago.

I don't mean the thread as a 'slagging match', owners plus points(and negative).

Also things like total build cost, resale, component quality etc. I'm not set on a toyota engine, I just see it as a bit more 'more' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by franky View Post
    I've seen both at stoneleigh a few years ago.

I don't mean the thread as a 'slagging match', owners plus points(and negative).

Also things like total build cost, resale, component quality etc. I'm not set on a toyota engine, I just see it as a bit more 'more' etc.
    Build cost = length of a piece of string. possibly slightly more predictable for a LB, where I think you can buy everything off the shelf. paint job can vary from £0 to £5000. Spec of instruments, seats, suspension, tyres all involve huge variability at the whim of the builder. I don't think you'll do either model under £60k nowadays.
    Resale: there have been more Hawks sold second hand than LB, since LB is relatively recent. Resale prices are not widely advertised, but are on the rise - see other threads. (If you can't see them, it may be because you have to be a club member to access that part of the website)
    Component quality: I am not in a position to compare or comment, but since you will source or make many yourself, that is unpredictable in some ways.

SEC Member

Not including paint..... Just talking 'averages'.

SEC Member

I would message Richard "Ah _sprite" . He has owned both and can give you the best opinion I think. His LB build thread is on here if you look.

My LB will be well below £50K, probably closer to £45K. That includes a rebuilt engine with throttle bodies (alfa v6). I did do the work myself though. Obviousley if you want to pay someone to rebuild the engine for you and do lots of work it would be higher.

SEC Member

As far as I am aware, Lister Bell will not be at Stoneleigh this year due to the amount of orders they now have. Best to call and check. They will accomodate a factory visit though.
    Regards
    Si