Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Good 'un!

Anybody else wants to come and stay in the hotel - don't wait too long - 9 of the 12 rooms have gone already!! Can't believe I'm so popular!

SEC Member

Any thoughts Norm?
    I suppose the dates for this could be just right if all goes to
    ( Boris') plan?

SEC Member

Yo John, just posted in David's Yorkshire Run thread about having to move dates. That one deffo won't be going ahead in June, but he's proposed September or October as alternatives, or maybe just forgetting about it for this year.
    As for the Northern Run, as you say, we might still just be OK if the stars align. But if not, my fallback is for September 12th if possible, as that's the Saturday when the Lindisfarne tide times are in line with our itinerary. I'm not considering October as it's a bit too late in the year for me, so if neither dates come off, it'll be next year...but at least I should have a Stratos to pose in then. I hope
    I'll give it till July to get a feel for the lie of the land before speaking to the hotel, but it might be an idea for those booked to check their diaries to see if that alternative weekend's clear. Hope springs eternal. etc.
    Last edited by Normb666; 14-05-2020 at 14:28.

SEC Member

Had an email from the hotel this morning to say they are opening again in time for our trip.
    What's the feeling about this?
    We have some reservations about going, particularly as it seems the restaurants will not be open in the hotel, but could seriously do with getting away for a break.
    We still cant stay overnight on our boat, and at our age all our friends are calling themselves vulnerable so are reluctant to socialize! Getting cabin fever!!

John, I must admit, similar sentiments and thoughts in our household on this, but when I saw the email this morning, I thought the Hotel were being a little optimistic on the date anyway.

SEC Member

Understandable Robin.
    Sure, the hotel may be open, but if the restaurants are closed then we may struggle to be sociable, even at a distance.
    I'm imagining Norm telling jokes by semaphore......

SEC Member

Funny you should say that, John - got two fingers up even as I type...not saying up where tho, before you reply

But, regarding the Grand Opening (or is it the Grand, opening?), I think they're basing the re-opening date based on the government's aim to have the hospitality sector running again on the 4th July. Although they say they're only doing B&B for now, they'll obviously be looking at opening the restaurants as well ASAP, so to get an idea of their thoughts I've dropped them a mail asking them what their plans regarding that are.

I'm hoping that, with our gig being a month after their opening, they should be kicking off the actual dining by then....otherwise we'll all be having takeaway fish and chips round the corner in Tynemouth village...
    It may be that we push it back a further month, to 12th September. It has to be that date because of the Lindisfarne tide times being favourable for our trip out. If neither date works for whatever reason, we'll have to call it off till next year...bummer!

As for virus nervousness, that's up to individuals, but I'm now at the sod-it stage after Our Dominic's trip to the North East and all the BLM protestors and peeps on beaches etc. rubbing shoulders and whatnot with each other. And given that we'll be pretty much isolated for the whole weekend (in cars and bedrooms), with just a few hours social interaction, and all of us still healthy, I'm willing to take the risk if you lot are too!

Anyhow, watch this space to see what the hotel's reply will be.

SEC Member

*** UPDATE *** The Gig's Still On!! Wahey!!!

OK Gang - been speaking to the hotel, and they're operating according to govt. guidelines, which at present means they can open on the 6th but still have to keep people apart, hence B&B with dinner served in your room.
    HOWEVER - because this is a social event rather than just a family staying for one or two nights, they've given us a private dining room, so we can still get together as a group to eat and have a few drinkies later.

Obviously anything could happen between now and then (it's 8 weeks off, after all), so I'll keep y'all posted on here, but I'm just waiting on a list of attendees from the hotel to make sure it matches what I've got. If we concur, then there's still a couple of places left, if anyone else is thinking of coming along... obvs if anyone just wants to come along for the drive then that's OK too (Bob, I'm thinking of you here )

Watch this space...or the skies...but don't walk in to any lampposts while yer at it

The (Social) Norm

Norm,

I have a room booked, looking forward to it.

Mark
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Yipeeeeeee