Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Great news Norm... we will be all ready for this event !!... fingers crossed

SEC Member

More info after I asked the hotel to send me a current rooming list - only one room left from the number I initially asked for, but it looks like they've had some cancellations over the last few months cos they say other rooms are currently available (which wasn't the case previously - we got the last 12 rooms). But they're not guaranteed, so if anyone wants to put their name down, get in there quick (and let me know please!)

The other thing they mentioned was that indoor events and social functions are currently banned by the govt, so our private room is dependent on that restriction being relaxed, which they're hopeful of. The offer of the room was to ensure we could have our event without worrying about anybody else, which I thought was pretty good of them. Anyhow, more news as I get it, but right now we're expecting the Run to go ahead!

SEC Member

Latest news - been talking to the hotel again (OK, not the actual hotel, but the peeps who run it...durrr!) and I'll be going up there sometime this month to 1) sanity-check the route and see if there are any "gotchas" and what's open, or not, and 2) call in at the hotel to see the function room, find out what the various arrangements are, and what we'll have to do to stay safe. Not sure what day that'll be but it won't be next week - probably the week after.

Soon as I've been, I'll update this post again with the details so we all know what to expect.

In the meantime, anyone else wants to go, shout out, even if it's just a day trip and not a stopover!

Hi Norm,

Just to confirm I will be tagging along for the Sat run.

Thought I had better update you on some of the local road changes which may or may not affect your planned route but will definitely change hotel approach.

The local council have had the 'bright' idea of making a cycle lane along the seafront from the Gibraltar Rock pub in Tynemouth all the way north to the Spanish City dome at Whitley Bay.
    To achieve this the seafront road is now a one way route north bound only for cars etc and separated by thousands of cones the south bound carriageway has become a cycle lane.
    All roads leading onto the seafront are now left turn only.
    Unless there are any changes the only way to approach the hotel now is through Tynemouth village and along the seafront an alternative would be from the village and down Hotspur Street although you wouldn't be able to turn right at the hotel.
    There may be some parking still available opposite the hotel in the new cycle lane, cars were parked there yesterday.

best rgds Bob

This is the council plan and within this is a link to a map of the changes

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/cate...ng-and-cycling

Here are a couple of photos as the road outside the hotel was yesterday in top photo the BMW next to hotel is on Hotspur St.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand Hotel  (1).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	16487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand Hotel  (2).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	16488

SEC Member

Hiya Bob - knew you'd be along for the ride...if you'd not confirmed, was considering calling the whole thing off...

Much thanks for the road situation update. I'll be up there the week after next so would have found out for myself, but the early heads-up is just the ticket. Having studied the council's proposals and docs, I'm wondering just what it is that'll be improved by the ultra-wide cycle lane? Suspending all southbound traffic will have a massive effect on tourism and business. Probably not so bad if you're local and know where you're going, but otherwise, a recipe for gridlock and disaster! Wonder why they didn't just take half the southbound lane for cycles, and have narrower vehicular lanes both ways?? And then there's the diversions around Spanish City, but I kinda get that cos of the car parking situation there.

Anyhow. This DOES affect the route of the run - no problem on the outward leg, but gonna have to change it on the return (was intending to also come back via the coast road). As for parking, I'll have to look at the situation when I'm up there...what a daft scheme to inflict on a popular tourist road.

SEC Member

Just a wee update, as I've been asked if there's any news. I did say I'd be visiting the hotel last week, but due to the usual Unforeseen Circumstances I've had to put it back to tomorrow - so I'll post the latest info and need-to-knows on Tuesday (or tomorrow eve if I get back in time). In the meantime I've been chatting with the Reservation peeps (in the hotel, not the Black Hills of Dakota) and I can tell you we've been given exclusive use of the Brasserie for our evening nosh-up. This has separate tables so we can distance easily, and for those who're not bothered by such niceties, the hospital's only a hop, skip and jump away. Anyway, more info (check-in and -out times, and that) shortly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5403.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	16568

I'm ready.....
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

SEC Member

Well that was a bit of a long day....thick end of 500 miles and, I'm pleased to say, a successful outcome

First off - the hotel. Check-in is from 3pm, checkout on Sunday 11am latest. Upon arrival, as you enter the hotel, there's a temperature scanner to the left which everyone will have to test themselves against; it incorporates a camera and shows what it sees on a screen below the sensor. After a very short measuring perios it displays the reading and tells you if you're OK or not. You can then proceed forward to Reception and check in. At this point you'll also be asked about your breakfast preference - cooked full English served in the Brasserie, with a dining time, or Continental in your bedroom. For our evening meal, we have the Brasserie for our own use. It's not open to anyone else and is very spacious with well-spaced-out tables, and a great view out over the beach. I anticipate we'll be sitting down to dinner at 7:30 or 8:00 - I forgot to ask about the time but I'll check with them!
    Post-prandial drinkies are available just across from the Brasserie in the Drawing Room, a bar open only to residents, or Copperfields, the pub-type thing round the back which is also open to the Great Unwashed.
    Car parking - they've reserved us 4 spaces undercover in their own "The Stables" car park, just up the street from the hotel, and these are for those going in a Stratos. There might be spaces for the rest of us but it's first come, first served. There are also spaces at the front of the hotel, but you can also park around the corner in Hotspur St. The on-street parking across the road has been removed by the daft one-way system the council's set up to provide extra space for pedestrians and cyclists... not that I could see many of either today despite it being school hols...but, there are spaces on the road that runs down to the beach opposite. It's £3 for all day between 9am and 6pm, free the rest of the time, so that's an option too.

The route - well, that seems fine too, with caffs and pubs etc all seeming to be open and doing great business (it's the first week of the school hols up there, so everyone was out and about). I'll knock up the directions this week and post them on here for you all to see.

So, all looking good, and I'm looking forward to it even if you lot aren't. Still space left if you wanna come along and hone your crap-talking skills....
    Last edited by Normb666; 20-07-2020 at 20:55.

Hi Norm, I live locally too so can't justify an overnight stay (or two) at the Grand. I would like to join you all on the planned run though and as I still await my Chassis it will be another non-Stratos entry!
    I hope that's ok and look forward to meeting some of the SEC on the Saturday.
    I have lots of hidden talents. The problem is, even I can't find them!

Ade

SEC Member

No problem Ade, be good to see ya. Will you be alone? Hope not or the route-reading will go to sh*te early doors