Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SEC Member

Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Y'all,

Finally, the news you've all (not) been waiting for - this year's Northern Drive-Out is now officially on!

I did say, after last year's unintended Noah's Ark inaugural do, that I'd re-run the Kielder route again this time so peeps could actually see some scenery, rather than make like they were standing under Niagara Falls. But I had a rethink and decided that we'll revisit Kielder another time, and try summat completely new for this year.... And so, having pored over maps, and entreated with the local haruspex to examine entrails for portents and omens, it has come to pass: this time, we'll be having a wizz up the stunning Northumberland coast, running by the sea as much as we can manage without actually falling in and/or getting stuck in the sand/driving off cliffs. On the way we'll be passing several famous and not-so-famous castles, keeping the water in the sea rather than on our heads (I hope), and crossing the causeway onto historic Lindisfarne, and who knows, maybe even not get stranded by the rising tide. There'll also be a bit of an inland loop over the moors before returning to the hotel, which is...

The Grand Hotel, Tynemouth - originally built as a summer house for the Duchess of Northumberland in 1872 - stands right on the sea front, and as well as being a very stylish and elegant place in its own right, is just round the corner from the rather cosmopolitan centre of the town, and not far from the ruins of Tynemouth Priory on the headland. I've secured 12 double rooms for us for two nights, Fri 7th and Sat 8th August, which was all that they had available. Cost is £368 for two people for two nights - not cheap, but what else are you gonna do with yer loot?

Dates are Friday 7th and Saturday 8th August, with the drive-out being on the Saturday as usual. If you want to go, give them a bell on 0191 293 6666 and say you're with the BRIERS group. They'll take your card details, but not take any money till the weekend itself. Don't forget to update this thread too so I know who's going!

It may be worth mentioning at this point that car parking could possibly be an issue (or it might not...depends!) There are 8 spaces directly in front of the hotel and a further 6 just to the side, and also 8 undercover in their own parking facility about 100 yards away to the rear. We can't reserve any of these - it's first come, first served - and with check-in being from 3pm, it might pay to be there early

Remember, you don't have to come in a Stratos of any description, something everyone took to heart last year when there were none at all. So this year I've not mentioned the SEC to the hotel, so no-one will be asking what the craic is with these exotic motors...

Anyway, it's all very elegant and probably far too good for you lot. I'll be going even if nobody else does :-P

*** "Stuff I Just Remembered" Section - *** Should have mentioned, if anyone wants a single room, the price is pretty much the same - just £10 less...not a particularly good deal so you might be better finding alternative accommodation nearby. And the run itself is about 110, 120 miles in total, of which you're free to do all, some or none of, with plenty of places you can stop off at should the mood take you. I'll include them in the Route Details when I post them nearer the date, and I've allowed plenty of time at a few of them for a cuppa, look round, stretch of legs, playing on the beach, etc. It's definitely more of a "tour" than a "thrash" this time, although there are still places you can, shall we say, "make progress" should you wish...ahem.

And, if anyone wants to just do the Run you're welcome to do so, but you'll still owe me a drink
    Last edited by Normb666; 09-03-2020 at 09:54. Reason: Extra Info

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Wow Norm! Gotta be there for that.
    No excuses this time.
    No excuses for Bob either except maybe he will not bother with the hotel!

Norm
    Booked, that has doubled the numbers to four.

David

SEC Member

Well done, That Man - I knew there'd be someone in the club with a few bob left

SEC Member

I have booked for me and Jan. I don't think I will be there in a Stratos however.

Just put the phone down, were with you Norm, for the continuation of the intellectual chat!!!

SEC Member

John, if you did turn up in a Strat, you'd likely be the only one... Robin, great to have you and The Boss along - knew I could count on you! I'll bring a dictionary and an interpreter, in case others don't understand what we're talking about.