Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good morning from Lytham!

Free user

Re: Good morning from Lytham!

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Sounds like an interesting (and challenging!!) project.
    Good Luck.

Being a sad git I've got 1/18 scale models of most of the cars I've had and although this is an S2 Elise it shows that you've got a bit of work to do.

Guess what.....I did the same. I even started taking the models apart to swap the bodies! Not surprisingly it didn't fit!!

How hard can it be?!!!

Cheers

Stu

The Elise chassis is too long to make it look correct.
    The chances of getting a fibre glass centre tub are remote.
    A chassis that's designed to hold a 4 cylinder K Series (one of the lightest production 4 cylinder engines ever made) wouldn't be strong enough for a Busso engine. They're not light!
    I know there's a V6 Exige now, but it has a bigger and stronger chassis than an original Elise.

Another thing is that the Elise has the steering rack behind the front axle line, which isn't going to help.
    The Elise door hinges and alloy beam couldn't be incorporated into the Stratos doors, as standard.

I think a Stratos shaped body on an Elise chassis could only be an approximate looking car (like the 'new' Stratos).
    Therefore, there's nothing 'off the shelf' that you could use to build such a car.

A car that has the Elise centre tub, but with front and rear 'clams' opening in the same way as a Stratos might be possible.
    It would make fitting the Elise battery less back breaking?

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    The Elise chassis is too long to make it look correct.
    The chances of getting a fibre glass centre tub are remote.
    A chassis that's designed to hold a 4 cylinder K Series (one of the lightest production 4 cylinder engines ever made) wouldn't be strong enough for a Busso engine. They're not light!
    I know there's a V6 Exige now, but it has a bigger and stronger chassis than an original Elise.

Another thing is that the Elise has the steering rack behind the front axle line, which isn't going to help.
    The Elise door hinges and alloy beam couldn't be incorporated into the Stratos doors, as standard.

I think a Stratos shaped body on an Elise chassis could only be an approximate looking car (like the 'new' Stratos).
    Therefore, there's nothing 'off the shelf' that you could use to build such a car.

A car that has the Elise centre tub, but with front and rear 'clams' opening in the same way as a Stratos might be possible.
    It would make fitting the Elise battery less back breaking?
    Great advice thanks.

I think the weight of the v6 in an elise should be ok, the K20A type r engines have been fitted into elises with no issues and they are slightly heavier than a v6.

My whole idea was to keep the centre tub of the elise then retrofit the front and rear clips and adapt/extend the centre section to fit. This will definitely take the car away from the dimensions of an original but what I would like is to build something more akin to the new stratos and take it a step further. It's very difficult to explain but it all makes sense in my head!!

One thing I haven't thought of is the steering rack, I will have to look into that one, but I'm sure it's not an impossible task with a bit of jiggery pokery!

Thanks again

Stu

Lytham as in Fylde coast ? If so, we're practically neighbours.

I also used to have an Elise S1 - at the time I thought it was the closest thing to a Stratos I would ever own.
    My LB Stradale is easier to climb in and out of (than elise with roof on) and much easier to change the battery, without lacerating both forearms in the process

Cheers,
    Graham

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Stradale493 View Post
    Lytham as in Fylde coast ? If so, we're practically neighbours.

I also used to have an Elise S1 - at the time I thought it was the closest thing to a Stratos I would ever own.
    My LB Stradale is easier to climb in and out of (than elise with roof on) and much easier to change the battery, without lacerating both forearms in the process

Cheers,
    Graham
    That's right, Lytham on the Fylde. Where abouts are you Graham?

Cheers

Stu

Westby - not too far from B&Q