Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good morning from Lytham!

Free user

Good morning from Lytham!

Hi everybody, hope you are all well.

My name is Stu Taylor and I wanted to say hello and ask a question or two.

I currently have a lotus elise with quite extensive crash damage to the front and rear but also to the windscreen frame. Normally the damage would be enough to call it a day but I have a plan for the car!

After seeing some renderings on Instagram of a "future stratos" https://www.instagram.com/p/B9FPNKij...=1tfqh4pfl6ypk I would love to try and replicate this using my elise as a donor. The plan is to purchase a stratos bodyshell then to "adjust " it to both resemble the renderings and also to fit the Elise chassis. The issue I am having is getting hold of a stratos body shell to start with.

I have contacted both Lister Bell and Hawk, both companies are very busy and have long waiting times, but I also think they are understandably a bit concerned in selling just a body to a stranger for obvious reasons.

My main question is does anyone know of another bodyshell manufacturer, or does anyone know of or have a used/damaged bodyshell which I could purchase? Obviously there will be alot of work going into the bodyshell so any damage can be sorted as I go.

Many thanks for getting to the end of my ramblings!!

Stu

SEC Member

Re: Good morning from Lytham!

The Napiersport moulds now reside in France. I'm not sure who actually holds them. I believe its a company who also make model car bodywork. Bizarre!
    See my thread "Bargain basement stratos" in the for sale section for an example of the body. I wouldnt advocate dealing with the seller but if you were more diplomatic than me he might tell you the source in France.

Hi Stu,

I've owned both Hawk Stratos and an S1 Elise Millenium.

Nobody else can supply you with fibre glass Stratos centre tub, other than Hawk or LB.

The Elise wheelbase would lend itself better to make a Dino replica.
    The Elise and Stratos have a similar track, but the Stratos wheelbase is way shorter than the Elise.
    There is an LB LWB (Le Mans) Stratos replica which might fit, but it's not as nice looking as the standard car.

Can you measure the distance between the inside of the Elise sills?

Stu

You will no doubt get loads of advice from everybody - a lot of it different and contradictory. If it was me in your position I'd flog your bent motor as bits and proceed with building an LB or a Hawk replica. If you are a fan of the Toyota engine you can opt for the V6 2G FR which seems to be used by a few folk here - otherwise use the Alfa 3ltr 24V motor which is a great engine and relatively inexpensive. There aren't many Stratos body shells around for sale so you might struggle with that (although John has highlighted one). What you are proposing is a monumental task - but not beyond the capabilities of a competent engineer with plenty of time available ! Either way "good Luck "
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 14-03-2020 at 12:55.

Free user

Thanks for all the replies. I did forget to mention I bought an MOT failed 2.5 litre 24 valve v6 156 on Ebay a month ago with this project in mind, the car is about 75% rust but the engine is sound. This is going to be grafted into the Elise over the next few weeks and hopefully by then I will have a solution for the body.

John - I saw the bargain basement thread, contacted the owner and was told he had scrapped the car. From a €10000 euro asking price to a scrap yard seems a big loss to me!!

Proto Tipo - I have looked at the Dino body but just love the shape of the stratos, I know what I have planned isn't an original but I'm hoping I can pay homage to it as much as possible!

Thanks again all

Cheers

Stu

Sounds like an interesting (and challenging!!) project.
    Good Luck.

Being a sad git I've got 1/18 scale models of most of the cars I've had and although this is an S2 Elise it shows that you've got a bit of work to do.

SEC Member

That's a good illustration Jim. Wheelbase doesn't look so far out there but Chris' figures are probably right.

SEC Member

Stu, he said he had scrapped it?!
    It doesn't make sense does it?
    Some of the chassis fabrication was appaling. Never saw enough of the body to make a judgement.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Stu, he said he had scrapped it?!
    It doesn't make sense does it?
    Some of the chassis fabrication was appaling. Never saw enough of the body to make a judgement.
    I know, he did seem like a bit of an odd ball to be honest! I gathered the chassis was a bit pants from the for sale thread but I was only interested in the body so thought it might be worth a punt......it wasn't!!

Cheers

Stu