Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How is the Virus affecting you?

Re: How is the Virus affecting you?

My "it's not really affecting me" from last week is now all changed to "no work and no income" this week and no prospect of things changing till normality returns. ... Yikes, that escalated quickly!! Anyone wanna buy an STR?

I'm not quite sure if I've slipped into unemployment or early retirement. I prefer the sound of the latter.

Having spent the last 2 days scrubbing and power-washing the deck I feel exercised enough, and sore enough, that I might cancel the gym membership and save up for better wellies.

Anyhow, I'm off to walk the dogs. Again.

I am self isolating at home at the moment as my daughter who is a doctor has gone down with the coronavirus. Lack of PPE at her surgery was the primary cause!!

I am managing to keep myself busy with another replica I managed to get hold of last year, its a re-bodied 1965 Ferrari 330 that had succumbed to rust many years ago. The 250 SWB body was built in aluminium by the respected Ferrari body builder Chris Lawrence, sadly it was the last body he built before he passed away in 2006 and his widow sold the partially finished car to a friend of the family who completed the build but not to a very high standard (hence me being able to afford it).

I have spent the last nine months putting right most of the hidden nasties by fabricating some new inner panels and sorting a lot of bodged mechanical jobs. Just need to tidy the external body panels and prepare the body for a fresh coat of paint. I also need to try and finish the Stratos, this should keep me busy for the next few months of our current crisis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-25 01.43.56.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	15991

SEC Member

It's nice to keep busy Chris, and what a project!
    Best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery.
    We need her back!
    I got the feeling when Hancock was on the tele more than a week ago saying how ppe supplies were going out, that he was fudging. They've been caught on the hop and will likely pay for it in the long term.
    Whatever your politics are this was never going to be easy to prepare for, but analysis will come later and I believe it wont make good reading.

SEC Member

I agree John, the government have indeed been caught out. But ya know, they're just people, so they can't know or control everything, and they sometimes get it wrong. Even happens to me - I know, you're amazed at such an admission, right?

I'm working from home full time now. Classed as an "essential worker" as I support core IT systems in the water industry, even though I'll be redundant in early May...yeah, go figure...!! I was kinda hoping we'd still be able to get out for a drive, but that's had the kibosh put on it now. So not having a Stratos yet isn't so bad, cos I'd not be able to drive it anyway (just how much shopping CAN you get in one? Anyone know? Obviously nothing frozen in the boot )
    Still got the other motors and bikes that need some TLC, so I can get a fix that way. And I've just ordered another bike...OK, it's a model one, a 1/12th Tamiya kit of a Honda RC166 (the 250cc 6-cylinder jobbie, raced by Mike Hailwood in the 60's). Looks suitably complicated enough that I'll end up gluing the handlebars to the back wheel, as well as several fingers together. What's even more intriguing is that they offer "scale-up" parts for it, so you can get a metal drive chain you have to assemble, including all the links and sprockets, and a front fork set, as well as a wheel kit that comes with a special jig for you to construct the things with actual metal spokes. Hmmm...might give all that lot a miss...! Especially considering that once it's built, one of the cats will knock it off the shelf and then the dog will trample the remains. Oh well, such is the fate of all my dreams...

At the risk of thread drift, this exact scenario was “gamed” 3 years ago and the predicted outcome has indeed come to pass. So, can you imagine any government getting support for the measures said gaming suggested would be required, because I can’t. Maybe now there might be more of an appetite to pay for an NHS that has significantly more capacity than it needs in ‘normal times’ rather than less.

Back on topic, as I've said often enough, I’m misanthropic at best so the “social distancing” is having almost zero impact. I’ve been retired almost 4 years and as I’ve posted elsewhere, am well practiced in filling my days with my own shit, rather than someone else’s! I’m an orphan, as is Vickie, so we have a very small family to worry about.

Despite my almost psychopathic levels of empathy, I do feel for those who are suffering. The scenes from India are horrifying for example.

It would be nice to think that this might all lead to a better world, where globalisation is seen for the evil it is and the gulf between the haves and the have-nots might close up a wee bit.......but I doubt it.

First week of isolation is nearly over. Did we all stay busy?
    Has anybody else cut down the amount of news they watch? Im just looking at an evening bulletin now to catch up.

Work wise all the garages I work with have now closed. As I mentioned before we have a car stuck at the Ferrari factory and was very surprised to see the factory are scheduling a full restart on April 14. Really?

Are people following all the warnings in your area? I have a park opposite my house and the first half of this week it was quite busy but now just seems to be dog walkers and people exercising.

Chris,you mention India. I think the scenes from there in about six weeks will be very sad. Just the shear volume of people and the close proximity will accelerate the spread.
    India is a place we know very well as myself and my family are dual Indian/UK citizens.

Stay safe and stay busy and I await the letter from Boris

SEC Member

David Milliband did a good piece on radio, saying that if we were frightened considering the health system we do have, then put yourselves in the position of refugees in a camp or in a third world country.