Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are you getting your Stratos fix

How are you getting your Stratos fix

So on the basis we can't drive them for the foreseeable future, what modifications, upgrades and general tinkering activities are you finally going to get round to doing.

I currently have the sump off and have fitted a baffle kit that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. I put it off by convincing myself I may as well wait for the first oil and filter change, but in reality I knew it was going to be a real PITA with the engine in situ.

Can't believe how I'm actually looking forward to self isolating in the garage instead of my home office tomorrow to re-fit it, even though I know it's going to be an even bigger PITA.

Stay healthy

Dave

Re: How are you getting your Stratos fix

Any advice on sump removal Dave? It looks very tight to me (Toyota engine) and I read on some Lotus forums that the original, even after removing the bolts, is very firmly attached...

Hi Marcus,

It is tight to get all the bolts out particularly on the right hand side where it sits above the chassis rail and yes it is well stuck on with Silicon but a very thin bladed scrapper will sort that out.

Almost forgot, the link pipe needs to come off as well if you are fitting a baffled sump.
    Last edited by STR_Strat; 27-03-2020 at 15:02.

I'm part of a group of guys who get together early on a Sunday morning for a drive and breakfast once every couple of months. We normally meet about 6am and go for a good long drive somewhere for a feed and a laugh. I've suggested we all meet in a supermarket carpark about an hour before opening, then line up outside observing social distancing so we can still have a chat and drive.
    Last edited by Fingers; 30-03-2020 at 02:25.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

I've been called in to work later in the week, so after a week of not leaving the house I'll have an excuse to drive the Stratos
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

SEC Member

So judging from the number of replies to this thread, it seems nobody's getting any Stratos fixes at all... can't believe we've all gone cold turkey???

Dave, how did you get on with your baffling sump job? - or are you still stuck under the car, inventing a new swear word every 15 minutes?

It was only after I'd dropped the motor and box into the chassis and delivered the thing to LB, that I realised I should've had the sump off on mine - it's supposed to have steel rods and I could've checked. I wasn't actually sure you could get the sump off in situ, thinking back, due to that row of bolts being right over the R/H chassis rail. So...are you offering a 2GR sump removal/refit service now?
    No, thought not

I had a cheeky drive out in my 1600 Sport to check on my elderly Lancia fleet that were in self isolation 12 miles from my home. On that run and back I saw a Moggy1000 and a Lancia Augusta (I know the guy but what coincidence....).

Other than that I am busy in my Lancia shed having just finished a 1300 Fulvia engine (for sale if anyone is interested) and am now going to do the engine in a Lancia Fulvia 2C. A gearbox swap for my works Fulvia is in the pipeline too... GGuy do you want to sell your part finished Strato's project as we haven't heard about it for ages....

Quote Originally Posted by Lancialulu View Post
    Guy do you want to sell your part finished Strato's project as we haven't heard about it for ages....
    No.

But i might be tempted in a swap for a 1600 Fulvia Zagato?

All done and dusted Norm, the two bolts above the right side chassis rail are a challenge but fortunately Toyota kindly fitted bolt with extended hex heads so you can get a spanner on them. Oil is in and not coming out so that's a bonus

I'm struggling now to find things to do so may have to practice TIG welding aluminium, its been too cold since I bought the welder.

Reversing camera may be an option to fit if I can get hold of one, otherwise as a last resort I'll be re-felting the shed roof

Forgot to say, I am actually working from home and probably doing more hours than if I go into the office which is a bit bizarre.

I think maybe the grown ups in our company are sitting at home thinking up more pointless reports they think they need.
    They have probably binge watched anything vaguely worth watching on Netflix by now.