Thread: Alfa 166 3.0 on ebay

SEC Member

Alfa 166 3.0 on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353032856185

Great donor car car On ebay.

Re: Alfa 166 3.0 on ebay

Needs quite a bit of work but seems far too good to pull to bits and scrap.

Getting pretty rare now.

SEC Member

Yeah, does seem a shame to pull it apart. As said, getting rare...and the owner mentions that and plainly wants it to be preserved, so if anyone from here DOES buy it as a donor, please be sensitive and don't even go close to mentioning Stratos replicas!

I get the feeling we're reaching some kind of tipping point over these Busso Alfas now, where they're no longer common (not that they ever were, really) and so we'll struggle to find complete donor cars (in order to have a V5 for registration). So, heresy though it might be to even consider other motors, but maybe it's time to start looking at alternative V6 power for future cars? Maybe I'll start a new thread to see what you think an alternative could be.

Free user

I am new to this forum, but not new to Stratos re-creations, I have been scheming to do a build since talking to Gerry Hawkridge at a show not long after the 1987 hurricane when he sighted the strength of their chassis after a tree fell on one at their facility without any distortion resulting.
    So following on this thread (and I am sure this has been asked before) but I have been looking for circa 2004 - 2005 3.2 Alfa GT donar car on the basis I believe it is the most recent Busso unit. Is my assumption that such a unit would be the best engine vs this 3.0 unit to use correct - or am I labouring under a misapprehension. I would probably keep the engine ostensibly standard, at least for the initial build and commissioning. Any thoughts or direction to previous threads would be much appreciated. Many thanks :-)

Hi Monty - you are in the right place to get answers to your questions - but the first step would be to join the Club . It wont cost you a fortune and will give you full access to all the blogs and all areas of interest. Regarding engine types we have people here who can talk forever on the pros and cons of the different types whether it's a 2.5 V6 , the 3.0 ltr or 3.2 or the Toyota 2GR FE.
    Have you bought an older car or are you planning on buying a Hawk or an LB ? ( I believe LB have closed their order books for the time being - even before the recent C19 problems)

I see you are on the South Coast - we need more members in this area! - I'm in West Sussex
    Peter
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 10-04-2020 at 10:17.

SEC Member

The 3.0 24V is essentially the same engine , with a different crank and milder cams. Its fairly easy to uprate the cams,as the ones fitted to both the 3.0 and even the 3.2 are fairly mild. The 3.2 will give a little extra torque but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Cams and an aftermarket ECU will make a 3.0 exceed the power of a standard 3.2, throttle bodies will lift the power up again.