Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasteners for thin (ish) GRP panels

Fasteners for thin (ish) GRP panels

I cant remember the name of the fasteners which consist of a loosely held nut in a rectangle of steel with a hole at each end for pop rivetting. I need some for my door cards - can anybody advise me what they are called so I can find them on E-bay ?

As an alternative, I have tried "well nuts" (sounds like slang for an earnest vegan!) which are the compressible rubber things with a brass threaded insert but in my experience they pull out fairly easily.

Any ideas? (and I dont want to use self-tapping screws - sorry!)

Thanks

Peter
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 09-04-2020 at 17:08.

Re: Fasteners for thin (ish) GRP panels

See LB Derby, Neil63 stream post 169, curtesy of Chris the Wiz, and Neil.

Robin

As Robin says, I got some recently from here:
    http://race.parts/Catalogue/Nuts-Bol...ic-Anchor-Nuts

'Floating Anchor Nuts'

The rubber version is called a rawlnut. I first used these when I worked at Lotus in the 80's and 90's. The benefit or these when used with glass fibre panels is that you don't have to torque them up. Craig specifies these for the door panels and they worked OK for me. With a anchor nut or cage nut, these are best suited to metal panels which fit tightly together and can be torqued up.

SEC Member

Might get shot down for this suggestion....but what about velcro? A few short strips of that along the bottom should hold the card in place just fine. Although, I've not got a car to look at, so don't know (and can't remember from my last Stratos 28 years ago) if it'd be a goer.

SEC Member

Caged Nuts too.

Thanks everyone for your replies - I now know what to call these things for my E-Bay search ! Didnt realise there was such a variety. I've ordered a few well-nuts(Rawl nuts) and a few splay nuts as recommended by Craig.

Norm the velcro might work for perspex windows but almost certainly wouldn't be strong enough for glass side windows - there would be quite a bit of weight bearing down on the slider mechanism - and it would have to withstand lateral forces as well with hard cornering !
    Chris - I'll check out Race-parts - thanks for the pointer. (having checked, these are the parts I recall from the earlier post but couldnt remember what they are called or where to get them)
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 10-04-2020 at 10:01.

SEC Member

Velcro can be a really good fix, especially if it can be kept clean and not fill up with stray fibres. Though I think you are right Peter and not suitable for the door cards.
    I have made small square plates of aluminium with a rivnut fixed in the centre before now, fixed to the rear of the fibreglass with polyurethane adhesive. Not as professional as bought in items, but if you are accurate in placing them they work well. I used these on door cards and on headlamp pod covers.
    I am considering making a removable Grp4 dash top panel fixed with velcro to hide my fuse box and relay panels, but it's only at the idea stage at the moment.
    Last edited by john; 10-04-2020 at 13:16.

Back in the day, when I didn't know any better. I put ally (I think) rivnuts straight into the fibreglass to holt the inner door panels in place. With a liberal coating of grease they're still in place 30 years later, never had one seize.
    Guy

Those anchor nuts that Chris posted above are used absolutely everywhere on the likes of Boeings and Airbusses, just about every external panel you see uses them, with 3/16" screws. Usually fairly thin kevlar panels fastened through light aluminium structure, they do the job of holding on really well. I trust them. I bought some metric anchor nuts from Demon Tweeks for my door cards. You can always rivet them to an aluminium strip or plate to spread the load.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!