Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare Key

Spare Key

Has anybody had a replacement transponder key made for a Alfa 156? I'm not having any success. Apparently 2000 registration seems from the people I have enquired off, to be a problem.

In hope,

Robin

Re: Spare Key

Don't know about the 156 but the 159 is a dealer only job with old keys not being reprogrammable, until recently. There's a guy in Scotland who's found a way around them, he's also done the Halo light kit for the 159 for me so maybe he can help? Trouble is, for the 159, he needs all the keys, key reader and body computer to do it.

Worth a try though? Facebook Project Halo UK, Samir Sarwar is the bloke you're looking for.

Guy

Oddly enough I've been messing about with this system for the last couple of weeks on a rig I've lashed up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	immo_rig.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	16326
    As i understand it, I think there are (at least) two approaches depending on whether you have the 5 digit pin code.
    If you have the code (which i dont) there is a process to add new, pre-coded transponder keys which can be initiated using software like AlfaOBD via a properly wired OBD connector which talks to the immobiliser box and triggers the key learn process.
    If you don't have the code you may be able to reverse-engineer it by dumping data from an eeprom in the immobiliser box.
    In theory this data can also be used to pre-code a blank immo chip to work directly without having to be "added" as a new key.
    I'm working through this process and have dumped the immobiliser eeprom from my rig but the software that is supposed to tell me the code is not giving a valid code. As this part of the process isn't giving me the right answer I haven't tried to "burn" a new chip from this hex dump but I guess I will need to try it to be sure.
    Most pictures I have seen of the "code2" box show a green label but my test rig one has a white label.
    Did the people you spoke to give specifics about why 2000 registration is difficult ?
    Hopefully it isn't something to do with the white label immo box but I've ordered a green label box off eBay to see if I get different results.
    If anyone knows more about this I would be interested to hear it.
    As per usual, the wiring diagram in eLearn has an error in it.
    Cheers,
    Graham

Graham, sorry to be slow coming back on this. The only feedback we were given was that around the year 2000 Alfa used a different Chip in 156 keys that seems not to be receptive to being cloned, and re the Code Box, mine has a Green label.

Don't know if this is any help?

Robin

Thanks Robin, so far I've had much more success with the green label box than the white label.
    I've been able to extract the 5 digit code from the eeprom and use the code with Alfaobd software to logon to it and to add a new key chip.
    What I am going to try next is to flash a new key chip using the eeprom dump to see if that works without needed to be manually added. This seems to be what most locksmiths do when they want you to send them the code box
    E.g https://www.remotekeys.co.uk/alfa-ro...iser-1998-2001 (no connection with the company but I was considering sending them my code box to get an extra key made)

So far I haven't been able to extract the code from the white labelled box and I've also got sidetracked into learning how to reset an ecu to "pair" it with a different code box and keys. Never too late to learn new skills!

Graham

Graham, thank you for the explanation, but whilst I basically understand the logic, I am of an age that doesn't really understand the terminology or the technique, but I'm sure you will resolve the conundrum somehow. My ability on electronics that uses chips and things is zilch!!!

Robin.

Graham - like Robin I dont understand what exactly you are doing with the electronics but if you develop a means of mapping new keys to an Alfa codebox that would be very useful. As these code boxes get older that would be a useful facility within the Club. (by the way , I also have a green label code box - which as I recall was manufactured in Australia !)

Peter

Does that mean it has to be installed upside down to work??

SEC Member

I've just broken a Fiat Ducato van. It has exactly the same key code reader as my CF2 year 2000 Alfa.
    The box is yellow though.
    What's the chances of that working? I've stuck it on one side for further investigation. In a few months time.....

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I've just broken a Fiat Ducato van.
    Has it got one of these John?:
    https://www.bielstein.com/Water-expa...nk-Stratos-Gr4