Thread: WTB:LHD Stratos in US - LB or Hawk

Free user

WTB:LHD Stratos in US - LB or Hawk

Hi everyone,

Looking for an LB (or Hawk) preferably in the US but could be Euro based. Has to be a LHD. Complete car or partial completion. Cash buyer for the right car.

Call or email is great.

Thanks!

Tyson
    Tferrer@gmail.com
    415 497 5387
    Last edited by Tbone1209; 19-06-2020 at 21:04.

Free user

Re: WTB:LHD Stratos in US - LB or Hawk

It's a big difference between US and Euro. I do not think you will get a complete car with engine into the US legally, meaning with an engine trans, etc. So basically you would be importing parts. At that point you might be better off getting a US car complete or not. Use an engine that is legal here and you would not be as likely to rile the federal govt. Unless you are going racing of course.

The biggest market is where they're built, in the UK obviously. And there's a huge market in Europe at the moment with registered cars that do come to the market being snapped up quickly irrespective of being right or left hand drive. I suspect that the imminent departure of the UK from the EU may be driving this as rule changes will be easier to implement without us which might make registration of self built vehicles harder/impossible. So, those that are available are getting bought for whatever price willing sellers ask with a premium on LHD obviously. Being self builds they aren't difficult to convert. LB I believe to be straight forward, later/current Hawks not so easy and older Hawks possible but compromised.

I believe that the import of completed cars into the US is complex with a date cut off after which a car has to meet emissions legislation. Older cars (25 years plus rings a bell with me) can be imported. So, what's critical to you is buying either a part built LHD kit or a RHD (convertable) part built LB or an older, properly registered, car (which is going to exclude LB) I think.

There are only a few originally built LHD cars in the UK and they're in long term ownership, it would have been a heart over head decision when ordering to go LHD in a RHD market so these cars are still in owner/builder hands and not likely to change hands. There are also a couple of converted LHD cars (mine being one) that fit the bill for age/correct registration but once again, these cars are owned by fanatical lunatics who are never going to sell. And I've been offered stupid money and won't part with it. It's family.

So, unless you're lucky enough to fall onto one of the few cars already in the USA I would strongly recommend getting a deposit down for a new kit with either LB or Hawk Cars (your choice - listen to all the voices on here before you make up your mind!). Unfortunately both companies have long waiting lists at the moment. A deposit will usually be refundable if you decide to back out should the right car turn up but if you're serious about ownership then NOW is the time to order. Keep an eye on this website in the meantime just in case the right one turns up!

Guy

Free user

Thanks for the information guys. Yes, I would much prefer finding one here but they simply don't exist from my wanderings.

I don't mind pulling the motor and trans out and shipping in parts if it comes to that I suppose. Not sure how that would actually pan out. Emissions are the least of my worries assuming I could get the chassis and engine here without getting tied up with the feds.

Where would you look for a US based Stratos?

Thanks!

Tbone

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    The biggest market is where they're built, in the UK obviously. And there's a huge market in Europe at the moment with registered cars that do come to the market being snapped up quickly irrespective of being right or left hand drive. I suspect that the imminent departure of the UK from the EU may be driving this as rule changes will be easier to implement without us which might make registration of self built vehicles harder/impossible. So, those that are available are getting bought for whatever price willing sellers ask with a premium on LHD obviously. Being self builds they aren't difficult to convert. LB I believe to be straight forward, later/current Hawks not so easy and older Hawks possible but compromised.

I believe that the import of completed cars into the US is complex with a date cut off after which a car has to meet emissions legislation. Older cars (25 years plus rings a bell with me) can be imported. So, what's critical to you is buying either a part built LHD kit or a RHD (convertable) part built LB or an older, properly registered, car (which is going to exclude LB) I think.

There are only a few originally built LHD cars in the UK and they're in long term ownership, it would have been a heart over head decision when ordering to go LHD in a RHD market so these cars are still in owner/builder hands and not likely to change hands. There are also a couple of converted LHD cars (mine being one) that fit the bill for age/correct registration but once again, these cars are owned by fanatical lunatics who are never going to sell. And I've been offered stupid money and won't part with it. It's family.

So, unless you're lucky enough to fall onto one of the few cars already in the USA I would strongly recommend getting a deposit down for a new kit with either LB or Hawk Cars (your choice - listen to all the voices on here before you make up your mind!). Unfortunately both companies have long waiting lists at the moment. A deposit will usually be refundable if you decide to back out should the right car turn up but if you're serious about ownership then NOW is the time to order. Keep an eye on this website in the meantime just in case the right one turns up!

Guy

Tyson, there are a few cars in the US but I've only ever heard of one or two coming up for sale. I think the ones there are in long term ownership, obviously not daily cars either. This site is the most likely place to find one I would have thought? Classic car sites do get them occasionally and any that we spot we tend to promote through the site but they are fully built cars, mostly in Europe and that may not be the way to go for yourself, unless you strip it and ship it to the US as parts?

What's your mechanical aptitude like? If you know one end of a spanner from another and aren't afraid of working with fiberglass there's nothing to stop you building one yourself?

Cheers
    Guy

Free user

Thanks for the info, Guy. I suppose I'll just keep looking. I've had 2 people contact me and one of those may be in play but I'm still looking. I don't want to build a kit as I don't enjoy the process and the time required looks to be a multi-year adventure. I'd rather drive than wrench at this stage. Thanks again for your suggestions!