Thread: First step to a Stratos replica build (I am not getting any younger)

Free user

First step to a Stratos replica build (I am not getting any younger)

Good evening everyone

Over the years I have admired the Stratos & loosely investigated the options of buying or building one, like most people life gets in the way.
    I find myself with time & grown up kids who do not use my wallet as their own anymore so would like to see if it would be realistic for myself to buy or build my own Stratos.
    My first step has been joining the club so will pop to the next event and gather some info, I live in Middlesbrough in the North east of England, if there are any members locally that can spare half an hour I would apprecciate an incite into the whole process & actully see a car in the flesh.

Kind regards

Ken

Re: First step to a Stratos replica build (I am not getting any younger)

Welcome Ken, you have taken the right step in the first place in joining the enthusiasts in this club, and you will find plenty of information, help and inspiration to consider building, acquiring or whatever, and as far as not getting any younger, its a myth, i'm sure that is no obstacle to considering a build, and enjoying the end result.

Robin TM

Welcome Ken, there is a fellow Stratos enthusiast who lives in Middlesbrough who has a Hawk in Repsol colours powered by a Ford V6. His name on the forum is Skelly his real name is Alan Haynes. You could send him a PM, I am sure he would be more than happy to show around his car.

David

SEC Member

Hi Ken, welcome to the club. Good idea to do some fact-finding and wotnot before taking the plunge (or not...).

As you might imagine, club events have been a bit thin on the ground (i.e, non-existent!) this year - however, as lockdown lifts and places start to open again, one of the year's top events (naturally - I'm organizing it ) is coming up in early August, and not a million miles away from you... it's the Northern Drive-Out on the 7th/8th August, and we'll be based at the Grand Hotel, Tynemouth (have a look in the "Events" section for more details). We've got 4 Stratos reps due to attend, so you might want to pop along and say Hello - if nothing else you can decide whether or not we're a bunch of socially-inept tossers....

If you fancy taking part in the event itself, it'd be great to have you along. You don't have to do it in a Strat - in fact, last year, nobody did, which I found hilariously amusing

Anyhow, have a look, and let us know if you'll be coming along, so we can all fleece you of your cash in the form of drinks, haha!

Cheers!

Norm

Free user

Thanks for the welcome

Free user

Well I could not of hoped for a better outcome than someone in middlesbrough owning a car, I will drop him a message and see if we can meet up (socially distancing)

Free user

First of all thanks very much for setting the time aside to talk with me, the last few weeks and the serious investigating into the idea of taking on a Stratos build has helped me decide a build is not a realistic proposition for me. A realisation of the effort / skill set / tenacity required is not in my make up. Another major factor was the real cost to build one of these fantastic cars. During my research it is clear the purchase of a complete car is not an option with cars being rarely available and prices £50k and upwards with a very healthy market for these cars. Congratulations to everyone with a Stratos regardless of make and all of you builders best of luck. I will remain a member of the club and aim to attend any meet ups possible to enjoy the one that got away Kind regards to all that shared their time, Ken.

SEC Member

Well that's a real shame, Ken. (I mean not being in a position to own a car, not you staying a club member ) If you'd come along maybe 5 years ago you'd have been able to pick up a previously-enjoyed one much more cheaply than what you have to pay now. There are various reasons for that, all to do with the general classic car scene and the rise of the restomod phenomemon, whereby replicas are no longer frowned upon, but rather embraced. Good news for owners, bad news for the impecunious enthusiast! But there's a bit of a pecking order when it comes to the various kits, with LBs and Hawks top of the tree (depending on spec and standard of construction, of course), followed by the others (Napiersport, Corse, Allora), so don't give up and keep an eye out, cos you never know...!

As for attending meets - as I mentioned in my earlier post, the Northern Drive-Out is still happening in Tynemouth on Sat 8th August, and there'll be 4 or 5 Stratoses there if you fancy popping along. You can even do the run if you like! Be nice to see ya. Let me know if you're coming so we can expect you!