Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Busso V6 engine numbers

Re: Busso V6 engine numbers

Yes thanks Ade - I'll have to try and photograph it as I dont have the V5 - and then I will point to it so the Tester can see where it is - but not sure how visible it will be without close examination.

Can you take an impression of it with plasticine when the engine is all built up? If that works take a mirror so you can read the reversed imprint easily?

Can you get an age related plate without the V5? I thought that was a requirement to prove the age of the donor and without one you'd be issued a "Q" plate?

Guy

Interesting point Guy about the plasticine impression. I will try that but the impression is feint - hence me mis reading the AR for AK and the "1" digits as "4's". Also if I can get a clear reading of the engine number and the block casting date (which is very clear as Oct 2002 ) I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded Q plate. I do have a receipt for the engine from Autolusso - but nothing on the receipt to indicate provenance - although am still trying to get more detail from them.

I doubt you'll have any luck with Autolusso after all this time, chances are they broke the car for parts and declared it scrapped in which case I think you're done. Fingers crossed they can come up with something though.

It might be time to consider buying a similar vintage (running/MOT'd) vehicle for a few hundred and telling DVLA that the engine appears to have been changed? You may need "proof" in the form of photos though if the DVLA gets antsy! Then use that as your donor vehicle once you get the V5 back. Or actually kill it, power wash the motor and drop it into the Stratos for the IVA test? Then, once registered put your intended motor back in?

The things we consider doing to avoid a Q plate?

I managed to get a statement from Autolusso declaring my engine was sold to me from a car that they had scrapped. They dont have the V5 , nor can they recall the Reg No but I'm hoping this letter will be sufficient - along with the invoice for the re-build.

Incidentally photographing the engine number (which I should have done before I put it in the car) was a bit of a challenge but I got there in the end. See if you can spot the number :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Number Clearest - with filter 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	16776

That tests the eyes doesn't it! I get AR16105 002542

How about trying to get a uniform sheen on the base material with a Scotchbrite or similar pad, moving in one direction? The engraving marks are all there but really hard to resolve from the confusing background. A pad wouldn't remove enough material to risk losing the marks but should improve contrast.

I've managed to look at it - it's quite easy with the removable bulkhead piece in the LB.

I can see the AR34301 which makes sense as it's a CF2 I66 engine. However I can't make out the numbers - but these are on the V5 so I can piece it together.

However will IVA want to be able to read it from the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    However will IVA want to be able to read it from the engine?
    Wait a few weeks and I'll yell ya

Is there anything you can wipe over the surface, wipe off and leave colour in the stamped numbers? Paint probably too thick? How about a colour matching polish? Anything that might help the inspector on the day?
    Guy

Regarding improving visibility of the numbers - I've tried pencil graphite, permanent marker, oil and then heating with a paint stripper, etc etc. However the photogrph you can see is the best result I've got and this was with a photoshop type filter. When I took my photographs (with my I-phone) and illuminated by an LED torch, the numbers did not show up at all (to the naked eye) whatever I did. I decided to look at each of my I-phone photos on a large screen - and surprisingly I could read them. The one I attached has a pale blue filter which enhances the digits just about enough to be legible. I am going to supply this photo to the IVA tester. I would imagine they are not expecting to be able to identify each engine by it's individual numbers - if there is an accompanying V5 document. However since I dont have one I think my evidence will need to be a bit more substantive. To get this photo I had to drain down my radiator , disconnect the hoses and air filter and MAF and sundry knock sensors and other electrics.

I'm hoping I wont have to do this on Test day!

Thanks for all the suggestions - and Chris you read the number correctly . (I was initially confused by the continental "1's" mistaking them for 4's - and the "R" from the initial AR is rather stylised ) The only other thing I need to try and get is an image of my block casting date - which I know is October 2002 - and am looking at getting hold of an endoscope . I'm thinking I can photograph the on-screen image.

Does anyone happen to have an endoscope they could rent out ?