Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, just joined, would appreciate some help valuing a Hawk Stratos

Free user

Hi, just joined, would appreciate some help valuing a Hawk Stratos

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me joining just to ask for help valuing/selling a Stratos.

A friend has what we think is a Hawk. It was registered in the UK in 1988 as a "Transformer", hence why we think it's a Hawk.
    It has a volumex engine, but that is the limit of our knowledge.

The owner is rather ill and I've been asked by him and his family to sell a lot of his belongings so that his house can be rented.
    The car has sat in his garden for 10 years or so uncovered.
    It rolls, but it doesn't run, and there has been water inside the cabin.

It does have a lot of spares, eg: a new windscreen, loads of interior parts, heater parts, race seats, all sorts.
    Registered on a Q plate.

I listed it on ebay, and there has been a great deal of interest, mainly people asking "what the lowest price" etc...!

Help gratefully received, apologies for joining just to ask for advice on selling.

Regards

Dan

Re: Hi, just joined, would appreciate some help valuing a Hawk Stratos

Hi Dan,

The car is an early Hawk, which had the name 'Transformer' at that time.
    The chassis is manufactured by Spyder or possibly even earlier.

If it's correctly registered, it could be worth between £8k and £10k, maybe more?

Quote Originally Posted by binnedit View Post
    and there has been water inside the cabin.
    They all do that.

I think you could be a bit low on that estimate Chris

32 years old may make it more interesting to the European buyer - DVLA says 1988 Transformer so registration appears all legit

Clean up a V6 installation and a coat of paint - 10K invested - and its £30-40K

Will be interesting to watch the auction and if it lasts the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
    32 years old may make it more interesting to the European buyer - DVLA says 1988 Transformer so registration appears all legit
    That's a good point Andrew.
    If it wasn't registered, I'd be high on the estimate?

Free user

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the info, it's incredibly helpful, as it gives us a ball-park at least.
    We've had a few cheeky offers, I'm glad we weren't hasty.

Kind regards

Dan

Date of registration may also make it attractive to US buyers, I think a classic car over 25 years is easily imported there? Another potential plus it that it's possible to convert these early Transformers to LHD. But there is a lot of work involved. Feel free to point the buyer in my direction if they want to consider that. But it's not a service I want to offer!
    Guy

SEC Member

Hi Dan,

It's your Friendly Neighbourhood Chairman Norm here. Only just seen your post, having been out all day. First off - no, we don't mind you joining just for advice - I think we got about 80% of the membership that way! Secondly - as has been said in another thread, project Strat reps don't come along too often of late. In fact the market's not exactly awash with completed cars either! All the other points made are entirely valid too, so without a good look round the car, its actual value is a bit of a finger-in-the-air job.
    Plus points: correctly registered as a Hawk in period, so attractive to overseas buyer, and won't need an IVA test when returned to the road. Sounds like it's pretty much all there, so even if the parts are knackered, you'll know what you need to replace. Also, bypasses the waiting list for a new kit (although it'll probably be a lot more effort to sort than just building a kit!).
    Against: chassis could be well gone, especially the rear cradle and front suspension mounts. Fixable, but a big job. Motor - probably seized and basically scrap. And no-one uses the Lancia twin-cam these days - it's an Alfa V6 minimum so that's what any rebuild would likely use. Basically, any sensible buyer should really assume the worst about every part of the car and factor the work and cost into their offer.
    Thing is, even after viewing it, it's impossible to give a truly accurate unbiased guess as to what it's worth, as one person's bag of spanners is another's golden opportunity. I guess Ebay will decide...!!

Having said all that, what you may or may not be aware of, is that values of good replica Strats are high, and rising (as I've banged on about on here, ad nauseam). They're now sought after by proper collectors - the days of them being just "cheap kit cars" are well gone. I don't think you'll be insulted if I don't include your car among those somehow but what it does mean is that the values of, shall we say, "lesser" cars, and project vehicles, have been dragged up in their wake. So don't sell too soon - see where it goes! I think whatever you get will be probably more than you expected... currently at £9600 with days to go....!!

Good Luck!

Norm
    Last edited by Normb666; 21-09-2020 at 21:41.

SEC Member

With reference to the engine, seized or not, there is a healthy market for the super chargers which might contribute handsomely towards the purchase of an Alfa replacement.

Free user

Thanks Norm and thanks all.

I've been surprised at the level of interest. A lot of international enquiries; France, Belgium, Portugal, The Netherlands and Denmark, as well as the UK.
    A lot of professional dealers/resto companies, as well as some very clued-up private buyers.

I caught up with the owner last night and he was quite amused. It will be interesting to find out the final bid on Sunday.

Dan