Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which wheel size looks best?

Free user

Which wheel size looks best?

Hello,

I'm looking for a steer on wheels for a square arch Stratos.

I'm thinking 15" front and rear as am told that this is the only option for really wide tyres on the rear, but don't recall how fully 15" wheels fill the wheel arches. An alternate option is 16" front and 17" rear. what do you recommend? Anyone have pictures for comparison?

Thanks,

PR

Re: Which wheel size looks best?

For originality it's 15" but the rubber is a fortune these days. I've got 345*35*15s on the rear and 225*50*15 on the from of my Hawk on Gerrys coffin spoke wheels. Craig does similar but I think he has 16" or 17" (or both?) in the coffin spoke style. The tyre options for these rims is bigger. Of course, there's nothing that forces you to go for coffin spokes - whatever you like the look of really! There were other styles in period on the originals too.
    Guy

LB sizes were (and maybe still are) 15s or 16F and 17R.Getting a properly wide tyre for the rear isn't straight forward but is possible.

Toyo do a 315/35/17 in the R888R but it's not available in the UK. You can import them from the US though. There are quite a few tyres in this size for USA brands, they are not 'e marked' but they do have all the required speed and load markings so although not legal to 'sell' in the UK they are legal to use. Go figure! You can now get a tyre of this size in the UK - Nankang AR-1. £200 each, fully road legal and e-marked but very track oriented semi-slick.

The fronts are 225/45/16 which are available but getting more difficult to source.

Kumho do tyres in both sizes mentioned above for the 16/17, but again don't bring them into the UK. I talked to the UK importers and they say there's not enough demand for them.

When I spoke to Nankang UK said they might consider asking the company to make the more road oriented NS-2R in a 315/35/17 if there was enough demand.

You can now get a 315/35/17 tyre in the UK.

Free user

Thank you Guy,

There is a difference in tyre price, but compared to the cost of the car, it's insignificant. ;-)

Regards,

PR

Free user

Thank you LPH_UK

Just done a bit more research and you can get 335/35/17 in a PZero Asimmetrico and they are developing a 225/45/16 P700Z (no idea when it will be ready) which would make a good set for the 17/16. That's presuming the 335 would fit on the rim and under the arches!

Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    Just done a bit more research and you can get 335/35/17 in a PZero Asimmetrico and they are developing a 225/45/16 P700Z (no idea when it will be ready) which would make a good set for the 17/16. That's presuming the 335 would fit on the rim and under the arches!

Leigh
    The 335/35/17 is the Ferrari F40 rear tyre size & IMHO it would be too large for a Stratos real or rep and I would not fit it.
    tyres are somewhat of a mine field currently whether it be for 15" or for 16/17", A lot of the larger rim sizes have been cut this year and Michelin have just cut the 335/35/15 TB from their range as well.
    As Guy says the P zero is very expensive, there is also the Pirelli Cinturato P7 available in the same sizes as Guy runs which is a little more economical to buy than the P Zero.
    The most readily available tyre for the 15" rim appears to be the Pirelli Corsa Classic, some compounds would be too hard for road use and others may make you twitch a bit in the wet.
    The same applies for the Michelin TB5 which is also available in suitable sizes.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

The pirelli P zero is available in 285/40/17, so i think this is the best option for a 17 inch rear.

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/pirelli/...ro-asimmetrico

Bit of a thread resurrection but the 225/45/16 P700 is now available. Not cheap.....

However it does mean that you can now get a set of Pirellis in:

285/40/17 (P Zero asim) tread pattern:

225/45/16 (P 700) tread pattern:

Which is a good replacement for the old Toyo R1Rs which are no longer available.

The sticking point is the £1400 you'll need to pay for a full set!!!!
    Last edited by LPH_UK; 06-01-2022 at 18:46.

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    The sticking point is the £1400 you'll need to pay for a full set!!!!
    Eeeee Lad, Tha's lucky. I used to dream about paying that much for set'o'tyres.

A PAIR of rears come to £1600

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalog...yABEgIV__D_BwE

Let alone t' extra cost of t' fronts. And tha wonders why I don't carry spare!