Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoiler alert!

Re: Spoiler alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Karnevil View Post
    But all my Stradale models 1:18 Black,Blue,Red,Yellow,Lt Blue,Green all have spoilers and described as 1975 road versions,so im guessing by 1975 they would have been std fitment for homologation?
    None of the Stradale production run were fitted with roof wings and spoilers at the time of manufacture.
    There was an odd one that was trial fitted with the wing and rear spoiler. Curiously, these were colour coded.
    As time went on, the unsold Stradale cars would have been fitted with grey metallic coloured roof wings and rear spoilers, before they were sold new.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
    I can understand that if you were flying, that it would have some effect, especially with the Low Pressure area over the rear. Perhaps the Aerodynamicists and knowledgeable amongst us could throw some light.

Robin
    Maybe I can attempt to shed some light here. I suspect that it was placed there originally in an attempt to provide an amount of downforce on the ground, to increase tyre contact patch area and aid traction on slippery surfaces while rallying and also to counter the upward momentum of the rear mass of the car during jumps.

The designers at the time didn't have the benefit of the shared knowledge that we now have, so wouldn't have known that a wing (or spoiler, just an inverted wing, acting in the opposite direction) approaches it's critical angle of attack typically in the range of 8 to 20 degrees relative to the oncoming airflow. Consequently, I would estimate that the Stratos rear spoiler, as it is angled at way more than 20 degrees to the oncoming airflow, actually spends most of it's time fully stalled and creates more profile and induced drag than useful downforce, but there will be some downforce, nevertheless.

But hey, it looks cool, and as has already been mentioned, provides a useful area for advertising sponsorship!

All the best to everyone for Christmas!

Mark
    Last edited by Willtord; 21-12-2020 at 13:47.

Interesting input Mark - are you, by chance , an aerodynamacist ?

Free user

Hi,
    I studied aerodynamics at Cranfield but ended up in the pointy end of a Jet. I did have some input into the Jaguar XJ220 and McLaren F1 race and road cars a while ago and also had a few interesting conversations with the Formula One guys.
    Last edited by Willtord; 22-12-2020 at 20:54.