Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler alert!

Spoiler alert!

When did the Stratos get the spoilers and wing?

SEC Member

Re: Spoiler alert!

Whenever they got screwed on. And the replicas follow that exact same process :-P

Sorry, I'm being facetious (for a change). But I remember seeing it on the '74 RAC without any addenda if that helps....no, thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnevil View Post
    14th November 1974.

Bugger, can't seem to post the Homologation Page I just found. But it's on this one.

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1600876801/homologation_form_number_640_group_4.pdf

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mayers; 25-11-2020 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnevil View Post
    Not sure when they were first fitted, but suspect that they evolved first on the GP4 cars. Looking at the shape and profile of the roof spoiler, I'm sure that this was developed and fitted to creat a low pressure zone over the loovers to draw air out of the engine bay to aid general cooling.

I dont think the rear spoiler had much if any aero dynamic effect on the cars at speed on most rallies where the Stratos excelled, as they were usually twisty ones which meant generally slower overall top speeds. I think it was put there to provide a larger, near upright display area to extract larger fees from advertisers/sponsors. Looks great in the photos, just what the marketers wanted in the era!!

Robin.
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 25-11-2020 at 00:43.

In the 90’s the rear wing was not to give downforce but to help the cars over the jumps in the air, and to keep the cars stable in flight by keeping them flat.
    I know that it works on the Stratos as on a rally in the Chez republic i had mine 6 feet off the ground and she came down flat. Only broke the rear clam hinges on the Hawk which i later fixed with extra gussets.

Ian

The last rally that the works cars didn't have the roof wing and rear spoiler (as far as I know) was the 1975 Swedish Rally. (early Alitalia colour scheme)
    From the end of the 1974 season to the 1975 Swedish, the cars also had an early shape of 4 lamp pod with no cover. I'm guessing it was fabricated from aluminium.
    The early 4 lamp pods are bit more 'sawtooth' shaped than the later and more common fibreglass 4 lamp pods.

I've just checked:
    Pinto drove a works early Alitalia car to victory on the Rallye Sicily in March 1975.
    That car still had no roof wing or rear spoiler, but the new 4 lamp pod.

ERC rounds aside, I think the first world championship round where the works cars had a roof wing and rear spoiler, would be the 1975 Safari (25th - 31st March).
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 25-11-2020 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowstratos View Post
    In the 90’s the rear wing was not to give downforce but to help the cars over the jumps in the air, and to keep the cars stable in flight by keeping them flat.
    I know that it works on the Stratos as on a rally in the Chez republic i had mine 6 feet off the ground and she came down flat. Only broke the rear clam hinges on the Hawk which i later fixed with extra gussets.

Ian
    I can understand that if you were flying, that it would have some effect, especially with the Low Pressure area over the rear. Perhaps the Aerodynamicists and knowledgeable amongst us could throw some light.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Whenever they got screwed on. And the replicas follow that exact same process :-P

Sorry, I'm being facetious (for a change). But I remember seeing it on the '74 RAC without any addenda if that helps....no, thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    The last rally that the works cars didn't have the roof wing and rear spoiler (as far as I know) was the 1975 Swedish Rally. (early Alitalia colour scheme)
    From the end of the 1974 season to the 1975 Swedish, the cars also had an early shape of 4 lamp pod with no cover. I'm guessing it was fabricated from aluminium.
    The early 4 lamp pods are bit more 'sawtooth' shaped than the later and more common fibreglass 4 lamp pods.

I've just checked:
    Pinto drove a works early Alitalia car to victory on the Rallye Sicily in March 1975.
    That car still had no roof wing or rear spoiler, but the new 4 lamp pod.

ERC rounds aside, I think the first world championship round where the works cars had a roof wing and rear spoiler, would be the 1975 Safari (25th - 31st March).
    Yeah I have some Alitaliya 1:18 models which do not have spoilers...............with lamp pods.
    And then ones with pods and spoilers.
    But all my Stradale models 1:18 Black,Blue,Red,Yellow,Lt Blue,Green all have spoilers and described as 1975 road versions,so im guessing by 1975 they would have been std fitment for homologation?