Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restomods vs. Replicas

Re: Restomods vs. Replicas

I'm from the original group of people who witnessed the works and Chequered Flag cars performing in period. Consequently, aspiring to own the nearest thing I can get to a Stratos is deep rooted.
    I think because of that, it matters less to me how the spaceframe kit replicas are pigeonholed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    I'm from the original group of people who witnessed the works and Chequered Flag cars performing in period. Consequently, aspiring to own the nearest thing I can get to a Stratos is deep rooted.
    I think because of that, it matters less to me how the spaceframe kit replicas are pigeonholed these days.
    As you know Chris, I'm with you here, but because of circumstances in the intervening time I was late joining you with the aspiration. Having been involved with serious Rallying around the time prior to the advent of the Stratos, I have always considered the originals as a 'Kit Car', built for a purpose with bits assembled from around the various manufacturing facilities of the Fiat organisation and styling contractors at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    There is also probably a shift in the market where some of the customers who desire these cars are maybe better equipped financially than they were traditionally.
    Basically it's gone the same way as many other things and become 'gentrified'

SEC Member

Back in the day I'd have given body parts for a Stratos... well, somebody else's body parts, anyhow But as time moves on and I've got older and cars and components have developed, although the appeal of the Stratos concept hasn't dimmed, I'm much more inclined towards one with modern components, and therefore that's why an LB appealed to me so much. It doesn't have to be original, or as close as you can get, for me, although I fully understand why it does for others.
    The other reason I like the idea of restomods or homages or whatever word you want to use, is because cars back in the day weren't particularly reliable - and that was when they were new...40 or 50 years on and they haven't improved any!

"Better equipped financially"....I like that! However, there are those who might have been in that situation before getting the car, but they're not now they've bought it
    Last edited by Normb666; 09-12-2020 at 15:30.

SEC Member

For me, personally, the Stratos was the first car I had a poster on the wall for, growing up as a nipper. Come the Eighties & I added an Integrale & a 288 GTO (whilst all my mates were putting up Athena pics of random women tennis players with tennis balls wedged up their underwear).

That wee collection never grew beyond those 3 cars; instead they died away in a myriad of house moves. Never for one nano second did I ever think I'd get to own any of them. "Many" years later & I'll be in the position ticking of two of those boxes.

To me, an Essex oik, that's just plain absurd. I guess I'm one of those who became "better equipped financially".

#theboydonegood

Cheers,
    Hedge
    Last edited by hedge; 09-12-2020 at 17:11.