Thread: Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice

Well that's it folks, today is the shortest day, from now on we are on the uphill slope of the year, let's hope that's not just the days getting longer but everything else continues to improve and we get back to something like normal, before it all starts to go the other way again. I'll bet Jim (Remure) cant wait, it must be pretty dim up there at this time of year, as even down here in the Midlands, getting up in the dark regularly I am finding somewhat depressing.

Have the best Christmas you can and hopefully the New Year will bring renewed ambitions for us all, with the vigor to match.

Robin

P.S. Put a twin socket outlet on the end of the newly installed cable for the Christmas lights, not got it right yet, tripped the circuit breaker, Browny Points going even further down the swanny at the moment!!!! Investigations to be continued.

Free user

Re: Winter Solstice

Hi Robin, hope you're well!

A reminder to look skyward this evening after dark, for the "Star of Bethlehem" (as supposed) to the south-east. Alignment of Jupiter and Saturn, should be the brightest heavenly body visible and wont happen again for another 800 years, so if we miss it this time we'll have a long time to wait.

Best wishes to everyone here for a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Mark
    Last edited by Willtord; 21-12-2020 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Willtord View Post
    wont happen again for another 800 years, so if we miss it this time we'll have a long time to wait.
    Mark, hope you are keeping well also.

Weather forecast not looking to good for that tonight, will have to mention it to a descendant to pass it on to have a look when it comes round again, don't think I shall be about then!!!

If you just happen to be up above the clouds this evening, take a couple of photos, so that we grounded mortals can have a look.

Robin

Free user

Hey Robin, I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm not allowed, we've been banned from the skies over most of Europe as a result of panic from the Christmas unveiling of the 70% more transmissible covid, hence I'm grounded until further notice.

I hope Santa has a dispensation!

SEC Member

I think I've seen the 'star' already? It's been in the south east fairly low to the horizon in the evenings. I am looking at the right thing? It's not just for a day or two is it?

Sound right John. It's pissing down here so no chance for us tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
    Well that's it folks, today is the shortest day, from now on we are on the uphill slope of the year, let's hope that's not just the days getting longer but everything else continues to improve and we get back to something like normal, before it all starts to go the other way again. I'll bet Jim (Remure) cant wait, it must be pretty dim up there at this time of year, as even down here in the Midlands, getting up in the dark regularly I am finding somewhat depressing.

Robin
    Thanks for the thought Robin. I've got to confess that it's usually bright and sunny (well, ok, at least it isn't dark) when I stick my head out from under the duvet at 9am most days. We are out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere tho and that's really great for star gazing. I think the nearest streetlight must be 5 miles away but tonight it's just great views of low cloud and drizzle. Must be bedtime again

Jim

SEC Member

Robin, the way you're going with the Famous Cable, you should have it just about sussed by 12th Night...when you're supposed to turn all the festive lights off again.... my suggestion, for what it's worth, is to point the exposed ends of the wires downward and then, with power on, see if any electricity drips out. Don't step in any if it does though, or there could be a shocking conclusion, and your fears of dwindling Brownie Points will be the least of your worries (if, indeed, you're worrying at all at that stage).
    The other possibility is that you've got something resting on the cable somewhere along its run that's preventing the leccy from getting through? Worth checking, cos you never know!

Jim: are you living in the boondocks by your own choice, or have you been banished from what passes as civilization up there? If the latter, I hope they send a van full of Arbroath Smokies round every week or two to keep you supplied

Jim, I’m looking out somewhat earlier than your waking hour, I wish I wasn’t !!!

Norm, Investigations proving fruitful, remembering to switch things on helps!!! To be continued.