Thread: Membership renewal 2021

SEC Member

Membership renewal 2021

After paying my subscription for 2021 just a few remarks regarding the membership!

For the last couple of years I regularly attended the AGMs in Stoneleigh and really enjoyed meeting some Stratos-crazy people and all of the talking! As far as I know I was the only member from outside the UK.

In 2017/2018 there were "complaints" because there was so much money in the club treasury and I remember the discussion what to do with the money very well. Decision was made to donate the "longtime" members with a free membership and a free calender for the next year! Thanks for that again! Would have been a nice idea for 2021!

Another proposal was sponsoring one clubmember´s trip to a rally in Spain "to promote the club" as he said! Personally I can´t agree with spending the clubmembers money to pay somebody´s vacation or something like it!

This year there wasn´t an AGM (nobody here to blame for that!), no Christmas cards as in former years (nice gesture but not a must) and nothing the club capital could have been spent for! Except the expenditure for the website and the other stuff to keep the club alive, of course! So the club capital should have increased to unknown heights!

And I remember the time when it was "club policy" to send a free calendar to overseas-members because those don´t benefit from the special club conditions for insurance, oil, spares..... like the UK-members can!

Please don´t get me wrong, I´m not out for making any "profit" from my membership! But I would like to feel a good reason paying for it!

All the best for the upcoming year for all of you and keep away from "the Virus"!

Re: Membership renewal 2012

Hi Michael

You raise an interesting point . I dont know if the coffers are bulging because of relatively little expenditure this year - but I do know that none of us - in the Uk as well as in mainland Europe or overseas - has derived any material benefit as a result of our membership - other than the obvious one of the companionship of this forum !

One of this year's outgoings was a deposit for the hire of the Stoneleigh marquee - and I know (because I arranged it) - that this will be carried forward into 2021 for next year's Stoneleigh Show. This unfortunately has been the pattern for all motorsport in UK (I also have tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed which have been carried over to next year's event).

As to the matter of Club Funds surplus - and what to do with it , if any - this is a matter for discussion by the committee and by consultation with the members. But you are right, in that as a Club we should review our plans for 2021. I've no doubt Norm our Chairman will be contacting everyone shortly with some ideas (and to ascertain the latest level of Club Funds).

SEC Member

Hi Michael, it's Norm here, your friendly (?) chairman

I remember you at Stoneleigh, and thought you must be a real fan to have come all the way over here!

The situation with the club funds wasn't something I was worried about personally, but a lot of members thought we should do something with the money to benefit all in the club, and that's why we had two years of free membership for everyone and also the free calendar. I don't know how much we have right now, but I've asked our Treasurer for that figure. We have to keep some money in reserve for the usual things - website costs, marquee rental for the AGM, and the like, and some to replace club property, such as the laptops used by the Webmaster and the Treasurer, if they break. So there's probably not as much spare money as we think!

I wasn't aware we sent overseas members free calendars. I've only been a club member for 4 years and the committee has been completely replaced by new people in that time, so I think that's a new one to all of us! We'll discuss it at the next AGM...hopefully in 2021

We did make the decision, however, that we wouldn't be sponsoring anyone in competition, or any other personal endeavours. The only things we would look to subsidize would be those things that would benefit all members equally. So, for example, no club money was spent on the Yorkshire Weekend or Northern Drive-Out. Those were all paid for by the members who attended. Any costs arising from holding the AGM, however, were paid by the club (but not anyone's expenses, such as fuel). The same might happen if the club organised, or attended, a track day, or an event such as the Silverstone Classic, or had a stand at a classic car show, or similar. That is to say, something that was done for the CLUB, and not individuals.

It's difficult to know what we can do to give our overseas friends extra value from being club members. Because you're spread so far apart, it's not easy for you to meet up, and those of us here in the UK would find it difficult to organize an event overseas - and even if we did, how many overseas members would attend, if any? We don't even get a lot of UK members attending events....I think there were 46 people at the last AGM, and about 25 at each of the Yorkshire and Northern ones (and those two included members' partners!). Anyway, it's still something we need to think about, so hopefully we'll come up with something.
    That doesn't mean any other members can't put suggestions forward, or organise something themselves - let us know what you think of and we'll try and support you! At the end of the day, this club belongs to the members, and it relies on the members to support it and keep it together. That includes those who pay to come on events such as Silverstone, Yorkshire, the AGM, etc, and I'd like to thank those who do - especially you too Michael, for travelling all the way from Germany to attend the AGM! (I'll have a word with Boris to let you in after Brexit, haha!) So come on, everyone - if we get a 2021 that's more like "normal", let's see some more of you at events and, maybe, even organising a few, and let's make the SEC great again! (a bit Donald Trump there, but I'm not averse to using other people's ideas and slogans )

Cheers!

Norm
    Last edited by Normb666; 30-12-2020 at 16:00.

SEC Member

By the way, I meant to ask: why are we talking about membership renewals for 2012? That was 8 years ago... I assume it's supposed to be "2021"

Free user

Sorry to go slightly off topic, how do I renew? It must have lapsed but I didn't get a reminder but I have noticed I can't access some of the forum or my account.

SEC Member

Thanks for replying to my remarks! And of course it should be 2021! Just a turner, sorry, my fault!

My intension wasn´t to complain too much! And I really appreciate all the good work and efforts you, as our committee, do! I remember quite well how difficult it was to find "voluteers" to form a new committee! I thought it might be time to mention some points that came up when talking to other German members! And no one expects the club "to give our overseas friends extra value from being club members". Just a bit more transparency here and there might help those guys to "hold the rod"!

Anyway, I hope that we all have a more normal (whatever that will mean) year ahead of us and we all will stay healthy! And if Boris won´t mind I´ll see you at the next AGM!

Cheers
    Michael

SEC Member

Michael, thanks, if people don't tell us what's wrong, we can't fix it

I have to admit to a lack of transparency this past year, though, mainly because we've done nothing to be transparent about I think I didn't quite put myself across properly about giving you guys extra value. What I meant was "make it worthwhile to stay with us" so I hope you all do!

Roger, to renew your subs click on "Settings" at the top right of the screen. Then, in the left-hand column, click on "Paid Subscriptions" and you'll get to the renewal screen - should be straightforward from there (I hope)!

Oh, and Michael, I've spoken to Boris and he's fine with you coming over. Said he can hold you hostage when things go pear-shaped when dealing with your Angela

SEC Member

I've just renewed, and using paypal without the baffling palava which dogged my calendar purchase.
    Yippee! 2021 getting off to a good start.
    All the best everyone.

[QUOTE= baffling palava which dogged my calendar purchase.
    Yippee! 2021 getting off to a good start.
    [/QUOTE]

There you are John, even your computer has had a turn for the better, we are on the up!!!!!