Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay and PayPal

Ebay and PayPal

I don't know if this is of any interest?:

PayPal will very soon become redundant on eBay, as far as eBay sellers are concerned.
    eBay buyers can just carry on as normal with PayPal, as well as now having additional options to pay, from now on.

See here:

PayPal sellers info.

Re: Ebay and PayPal

I wasnt aware of this - thanks for pointing it out. I'm more of a buyer than a seller, but my daughter is a regular seller (of vintage clothes) and she still is able to use PayPal - but not for much longer by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    I wasnt aware of this - thanks for pointing it out. I'm more of a buyer than a seller, but my daughter is a regular seller (of vintage clothes) and she still is able to use PayPal - but not for much longer by the sound of it.
    Hi Peter,

No, both business and private eBay sellers are being transferred (against their will in a lot of cases) to eBay's own 'Managed Payments' system. You can't opt out.
    A buyer can still pay by PayPal, but this payment goes into eBay's own PayPal account, not the seller's eBay account.
    The seller receives the funds from a sale, when it is (eventually) paid directly into the seller's linked bank account by eBay, either daily or weekly (but not monthly).

While I'm here, another thing to keep an eye on is the new post Brexit pre vat tax threshold for buying items from Europe.
    I think the threshold is £135+, (Guy Mayers will no doubt know?). I've not got my head round that one yet.

Buying from Europe is messy. The £135 threshold should work as it is the sane as our new personal “baggage” allowance for duty free. Above that a Seller in the EU should sell and ship tax free and the courier will handle import tax (generally zero tariff but UK vat 20% added and a handling charge) and want payment before delivery. UPS is bad on this. Fedex will pay on your behalf and deliver invoicing you retrospectively. Here is where it gets messy. A French company has charged me French vat (20%) on a 1000eu purchase and the UK tax authorities have charged me the same (plus a handling fee). Clearly the French company should not under new arrangements after Jan 1st. They claim the French Government has not changed how they account for tax free to UK. They may be right but then again the company does sell a lot to the UK and I suspect they are not in it for the extra 20%, as UK folk will walk. In another bizarre episode a friend sent me some parts FOC from France clearly stating they were free to me and of no commercial value, but put on the shipping that he paid for 200eu insurance in case the post lost them(as we know after 1/1 post became unreliable for a while). I have got a bill for c£50 UK Vat. I should, minor items from Italy have made it to my door since 1/1 unhindered.

I would welcome other folks experiences......

Not sure about the £135 threshold. Yesterday, here in Sardinia, I received an invoice from the post office asking for payment of 9.86€ custom charges and 7.50€ post office charge, on UK goods with an invoice value of £70. Our understanding is the tax free threshold is £39. And yes, there's a 7-10 day delay whilst the post/courier customs department calculates any due tax.

So I guess at the moment there delays, taxes and handling charges.

The £135 threshold only applied to 'Business to Buisness' sales.

The real killer is sales to end cusotmers in the UK from the EU. The rules say 'For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP (online market place) involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.

For goods that are located overseas at the point of sale, the new arrangements will apply irrespective of where the OMP or the business selling the goods is established. This means that the following types of businesses will have to register for UK VAT (if not already registered) and account for VAT to HMRC:

• any business that operates an OMP that facilitates sales of goods to UK customers
    • any business that sells goods directly (without OMP involvement) to UK customers where the goods are (a) outside UK at the point of sale (b) imported to the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value

Which means

• The £15 Low Value Consignment Relief on imported goods will cease to apply. VAT will be due on all consignments of goods arriving into the UK (including Northern Ireland). Goods imported that would otherwise be eligible for VAT relief (reduced rate, or zero-rated) will continue to benefit from such relief.
    • Most overseas sellers selling goods located outside the UK at the time of sale valued at GBP135 or less will now have UK VAT obligations.
    • Online Market Places (OMPs) that “facilitate” sales of goods will broadly be responsible for the collection and payment of VAT. There are exceptions when OMPs will not be responsible.

Which seems totally mad to me. MAny wonlt bother selling to the UK because of the extra hassle.

For sure since 1st january it is not easy in trading between UK and EU

I experienced that recently with parts I have ordered last december in Uk paid with VAT and charged again with 25% border tax by the courier!

Gerry asked me to send him parts bought in France because the seller charged massive fees for shipment! When I would send to him, the postman would charge me for border taxes but I said it is not commercial but private deal for a friend also I didnt pay all this taxes...

I don't know for a kit ordered almost three years ago like mine and it would be delivered after Brexit closure with 25% extracharges ?!?!?
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 02-02-2021 at 12:17.

SEC Member

Strange...., Boris never mentioned any of this!
    Last edited by john; 02-02-2021 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Funny, the ones who are getting really excited about all this (present company excluded) are the Brexiteers!!! I personally always knew it would be a problem. Luckily you dont have to add too many tarrifs on top of this.

I am mystified by Frederic's 25% though as French VAT (to be applied to incoming goods from outside the EU (ie UK etc) is 20%????