Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Hawk for Sale

SEC Member

Re: Pirelli Hawk for Sale

Oh yeah, Robin, that'd bring the price down another £20K at least Mind you, he's not learned anything from the experience - he's got a green one now....

As for the one mentioned by Frederic earlier - is the seller having a laugh?? It's plainly a kit replica, no way can it be a 1972 car (forgetting that the real thing didn't appear till 1973...), and it's running a 2.5 Alfa motor. 245000 euros. I can't understand why it's not sold (that's sarcasm, by the way)

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/...-vsFb9m4eMc0IY

Made it onto Car and Classics now.
    Terrible write up!

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this... since seeing it, I've been in shock Blimey, and to think I'd done well when I sold it 7 or 8 years ago for a third of the current asking price!

The description on the advert is a badly-butchered version of the advert I wrote back when I sold it, a lot of the information is therefore now incorrect. He mentions it having the Ferrari gear gate - this isn't the case now as I'm pretty sure it's been fitted with a LB cable change. The gearchange arrangement that was fitted to the car when I had it was very much a compromise and never really worked as well as I wanted it to - it let the car down somewhat... the gear gate looked great, mind!

The car was really nicely screwed together which is what appealed to me at the time. Regarding registration, IIRC the car had been inspected by the DVLA and/or the police in the 1990s at some point, and there was some supporting documentation stating exactly what the car was and that they were happy with the way it was registered, and it was allowed to retain its original reg. From an overseas sale point of view, this is probably the best case scenario for being able to get it registered more easily - and buyers will pay over the odds for that!

The way things are on the classic/kit car market at the moment, I think someone will pay somewhere in between the original advertised price and the sale price - although having said that, viewing the car in the current climate, particularly for overseas buyers, will be tricky!

A pic from when I had the car, taking part in the Monte Classique:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6808641415_d8a0cb5091_b.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	17751
    Richard C

SEC Member

That's interesting. I wondered what all that "250GTO gearchange" blarney was all about, so now it's obvious the seller doesn't have a clue and he's just bunged a price on i and is hoping for the best. The registration says it all..."YBL - You'll Be Lucky"

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    That's interesting. I wondered what all that "250GTO gearchange" blarney was all about, so now it's obvious the seller doesn't have a clue and he's just bunged a price on i and is hoping for the best. The registration says it all..."YBL - You'll Be Lucky"
    Worth every penny.
    I've seen the ad for the £150k LB so the market is moving ever upwards.

SEC Member

Worth every penny of £55K, sure!

It's got a gearlever that's obviously out of something else, a set of rusty GAZ shocks, and a 12V Alfa motor. Now if it had a set of Nitrons or similar, a properly-modified lever that looked like it belonged there, and a 24V motor, then yeah, maybe the original asking price of £69K. And if it had its "original" Dino motor, a lot more....but as it stands, it doesn't matter how well built it is, that was 20-odd years ago and it doesn't appear to have been cared for since Richard had it.
    You never know, someone might just come along and pay over £100K for it. But I can't see that person being one who knows anything about Strat reps.

Haven't seen the £150K LB, where's that? Got a link? Assume it's the 24-ct gold-plated one that Craig did for the Sultan of Brunei when he was a bit hard up, and couldn't quite stretch to an original motor?

I think the value of these cars is in the ability to register them in the EU still persists. Once that door shuts the prices will drop I'm sure. This car also has value in that it can be converted to LHD relatively easily compared to later Hawks. It's age may also make it easier to export to the USA? As with anything, it's what any potential buyer is willing to pay and how many are available at any point in time. Wait and see I think but I guess the seller got so much interest at the original price that they've decided to see how much they can get for it.
    Guy

SEC Member

I agree with everything just said, and if someone thinks it's worth that, then they'll buy it. But I'm looking at it from the point of view of us cynical SEC bums, who also happen to know he was originally asking £69K

£69,950 Norm.... Makes all the difference!

SEC Member

Sorry, was pre-applying the club discount....