Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Hawk for Sale

SEC Member

Re: Pirelli Hawk for Sale

I can understand he wants to make out it's well built - in fact Richard has already told me it was - but it's the expression "...the usual..." that annoys me. He's either an ignorant arrogant git, or he's not thought through what he's saying. Or maybe even both.
    I don't know who "Stratos Guru Graham Bates" is - assume he's not a SEC member or he'd have interjected by now, surely?

SEC Member

" This is a well built car, clearly constructed by someone who knows what they are doing."
    There, that should cover it. Don't see the need to cast aspersions at anybody elses efforts.
    Unless of course the whole of his research involved watching an old episode of Top Gear......

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    I don't know who "Stratos Guru Graham Bates" is - assume he's not a SEC member or he'd have interjected by now, surely?
    Norm,
    Graham Bates (or 'Grumpy' as he's oft referred to) was quite the legend in the Stratos Replica Club.
    He designed and made a lot of bespoke parts for the Transformer kit and the 'Saturday Club' revolved around him.
    The immaculate ex Terry Bunn Hawk HF I first owned, had quite a few parts that Graham made, including panel catches, alloy boot lid etc.
    If you look back at earlier club newsletters, his influence is fairly obvious. This is the period when Denys Jones' Pirelli car was built.
    It's highly unlikely that Graham would contribute to any on-line forum. I doubt he'd care.
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 15-03-2021 at 09:32.

He's either an ignorant arrogant git, .... You have got it completely wrong Norm !!!....... you forgot the word GREEDY !

SEC Member

I am looking for a 2006 or earlier car preferably with LHD to import to Canada. There are few for sale it seems but I have looked at this Hawk and have read all of the banter concerning it. Am I correct in staying away from this particular example no matter what the asking price or does it become attractive at a certain price point? For me the drivetrain is the least of my worries: it is getting it registered here that I am leery about. Any and all advice appreciated.

I'm not sure this car fits your bill.
    Before it gets exported it really needs the engine number and capacity updating on the documents. That my be something the vendor is willing to do for you as a condition of the sale. I don't know how thoroughly your inspectors look at stuff like that, they may not notice a capacity error but an engine number is a little more obvious if they can find it. Is there a local inspection/department that you can talk to?

This car has been known to the Club since it was first built so we can say with certainty that it's more than 15 years old.

If you do decide that this car is for you it is possible to convert it to LHD but it's a compromise as the footwells are wider on the drivers side as built and moving the spine of the car isn't really practical. Everything else can be done on this chassis. Later Hawks are harder to successfully convert to LHD.
    As you note, there are very few for sale. Sometimes you just need to buy what's available!

SEC Member

Hi James, welcome to the club, and good luck in your search!

You're right, there are very few cars for sale at any one time, and that's due to several factors including the general world of classic car types who these days take replicas far more seriously than they once did - for one thing, they're cheaper than originals, and for another, they can actually be better! So they don't hang about very long, although the Brexit situation has thrown a temporary spanner in the works. That's all reflected in current values, but you still have to be wary of what you're buying....and don't believe talk of £170K if it was LHD. If that was true, why wouldn't you have the work done??? And would you pay that much?? ....no, thought not
    Still, the asking price of this one is now back down to what it was originally, i.e, just under £70K. I've been assured by a previous owner that it was, at the time of his ownership, a really good car, but that was some time ago! You also have to take into account that this is fitted with a 12-valve motor rather than a 24-valve. That makes a difference to some. And heed well Guy's words of wisdom above - he knows his onions when it comes to Hawks!

As one of those who've bantered about this one, I think that at the current price, and with "offers invited", you could well be able to strike a deal. You obviously have to factor in the cost of a LHD conversion if it's a deal-breaker to stay RHD, so it could end up being very pricey - have you contacted anyone regarding doing the work?
    Your other alternative, if it HAS to be pre-2006, is to simply hang on till another car comes to market. You won't find an LB in that case. as they only came into being in 2010. However, LBs can be converted between LHD and RHD fairly easily - the floorpan's the same either side and all chassis already have the mountings and brackets for both configs.

As always, it's your decision, although I think it's vastly complicated by you being about 6000 miles away! But as I said, Good Luck!

I saw the car at the Lancia Motor Club AGM , I think 2019. The then new owner said how well it drove and he was used to some exotic machinery.

He let me have a good poke around and it seemed really well put together, it just seems a shame the current vendor was asking too much to begin with and now I would say it was at a sensible price. Lovely car and was in great shape summer 2019.

SEC Member

Thanks for all of your feedback! Yes it is a little difficult being several thousand miles away when looking for a vehicle. Normally you jump on a plane and go wherever but not these days. Maybe by next fall things will open up again.
    I saw an original Stratos back in 1977 while visiting France and now that I am retired was hoping to find my dream car as it were. I owned a '79 X1/9 a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed driving it but it needed more power. I believe Hawk has delivered over 600 of their version so maybe one will come up sometime. Having not seen any of these various replicas, how does the quality compare between them? I have watched many of the Youtube videos on the LB's and the Hawk's but this is not nearly as informative as a hands-on visit to see the real thing. There is a local shop that builds race trucks for the Baja 1000 so I am not too concerned with converting it to LHD but I have size 11 shoes so the foot wheel space may be an issue. We are not allowed to import kitcars into Canada unless they are more than 15 years old which also limits the pool of eligible cars. And of course it must have been legally registered so having the correct engine number is essential.

Get it bought, drink it while it is fizzy!

If there is one thing the last year or so has taught us, it is time to crack on!!!