Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your kit car owning history?

Re: What's your kit car owning history?

Richard, your quiz re the blue car, a Peerless GT. I was about when they were current!!! And noting the time of the posts, do you suffer from insomnia?

Robin
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 01-03-2021 at 11:15.

SEC Member

Robin, as you know, "evil never sleeps", which includes "2nd-hand car salesmen"

Some interesting and fab stuff there! I wanna know if the pic of the Vincent was just before it went into the canal, or were you only thinking about it at that point? (It just occurred to me - that bike's currently worth about the same as what it cost to build the whole canal back in the day...)

Well done, Robin!

For me, the Peerless was a cheap entry into the 50s 'GT' car, I paid £6k for it. You'd be lucky to find one for under £45k now! TR3 running gear in a tubular spaceframe (same chassis as later used on the Gordon Keeble), with a De Dion rear axle. Twin fuel tanks - one in each sill! They didn't sell very well because the fit and finish, particularly of body gaps, wasn't exactly great, but they were a similar price to production cars.

And well observed on the post timings.... haha!

The Vincent came about because I owned a Vincent Comet. I was in the club (youngest member in the local section by 42 years...), the chappy with the Shadow was struggling to start it, never mind ride it. He wanted it to go to someone that was going to use it, rather than it ending up in a collector's front room, so offered it to me. I sold the Comet to a guy in France, who came over and rode it home. They're beautifully engineered machines and were well ahead of their time.
    Richard C

The Guzzi-engined JZR looks interesting. There's a guy who turns up at our regular track-days in a Morgan 3 wheeler which always gets lots of attention. He does seem like he has to move the steering wheel a lot to go straight tho!

SEC Member

And the Morgan link to Lancia is....sliding pillar front suspension!

Those Mog 3-wheelers always amaze me when cornering hard and you can see the spokes in the wheels bending....wonder how often they have to have the wheels re-spoked??

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    And the Morgan link to Lancia is....sliding pillar front suspension!

Those Mog 3-wheelers always amaze me when cornering hard and you can see the spokes in the wheels bending....wonder how often they have to have the wheels re-spoked??
    You could ask Austin Smith Norm - he's got a "camouflaged with roundels" Morgan 3 wheeler now - registration WW11MOG!

FYI The current link to Lancia is the use of Thesis rear lights on the Aero 8.

SEC Member

You dunnarf know some stuff, Guy. In fact you could write a thesis on it

Well, while waiting for more folk to remember what other kit cars they've had in the past it seems that I've been an Ultima owner now for 6 years and 6 months and 6 days.

666 eh, spooky or wot.. so I very carefully made my way to the MOT station today and the car sailed through as usual with no advisories or hassle.

The big shocker was the mileage. I've done a whole 28 miles between MOT's.

Worse, the last MOT was in June 2019 as there was the 6 month Covid extension through to December 2020 and the car isn't too great in the snow so I held off for a run of nice days before booking the test today. 28 miles in 21 months. Eeek!!

Even more worse ... it's 10 miles to the MOT station so taking the 10 miles home from the last MOT and the 10 miles to get to this morning's one that means I've enjoyed 8 miles of driving it over that 21 months.

Even more worse than that... the last time I drove it the pipe to the clutch slave cylinder burst (when I was 8 miles from home I suppose) and I had to be recovered by the AA on a flatbed to the garage who fixed it and generously returned it to me in their transporter. it's actually covered more miles with the engine off than on and the petrol in it must be nearly 2 years old.

I might take it out and give it a wash tomorrow.

Last edited by renmure; 20-03-2021 at 20:12.

Are those 'Arran Piper' seed potato boxes in the back ground? or a wind break.
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 20-03-2021 at 21:00.

They would be seed potato boxes up at the farm. Dunno what kind tho, other than it isn't Mash.