Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SEC Member

Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Peeps,

Now the dates are decided upon and the hotel's booked, I thought I should start a new thread for this one with all the details, the thinking being that if I simply update the existing one, people who could be interested in attending might overlook it, believing there's nothing new.

So, as promised, the route will be the same as the 2019 one (but hopefully not as wet!). But this time, there'll be a break-out after Kielder itself that'll take you back to the hotel pretty much directly, for those who've had enough or for whom the lure of the bar is too great

Dates are as above, and the hotel is also as of 2019, i.e. the SHAP WELLS HOTEL, near, strangely, Shap. Price will be £60 per person per night on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, so £240 for a couple for both nights. Single rooms are a bit more expensive at £80 a night, or £85 if you want a double room all to yourself (maybe thinking you might get lucky, hahaha). To make a reservation, call the hotel on 01931 716628 and say you're with the Stratos Enthusiasts' Club. I've reserved 10 double rooms to begin with, but I'm sure more will be available provided you don't leave it too late to book (especially if no-one can go abroad for hols this year).

As regulars will know, the Shap Wells is....erm....quirky It's not the full-on 5-star experience (probably why it's only 3-star), but then, it's not 5-star money either. Plenty of parking space, a mile from the A6 down its own drive, so no chance of passing lowlifes (lowlives??) attempting to have a go at yer motor. As always, it doesn't matter what car you drive (in fact last time, there were no Strats at all), it's about a fun weekend away with like-minded peeps, all of whom for some reason have been unable to find a decent hotel elsewhere in the Lakes

Reply to this thread when you've booked so I know who's coming, and with luck there won't be any backtracking on lifting of restrictions and we'll be able to Do The Needful, i.e. have a great drive over some fab roads, and talk shite well into the night (yeah, like you needed an excuse or my permission...)

Come on, what are you waiting for???

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Booked, the chap on reception is Mike , Pat got the impression he was the only person in the place

David

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Yeah, when I called the hotel last week he said he WAS the only one in....not much point having others there if it's closed I suppose!

Did he relieve you of £50? Was about to post that they want a deposit this time... anyway, good to know there'll be four of us even if nobody else wants to go

£50 deposit was asked for and duly paid. Apparently he said it was non refundable, Pat then asked what if we were all locked down again !!!. Oh that would be different.

Wim commin. Bringin t lile wellies jus tin case , & sou wester.

SEC Member

Cheers Robin, whatever it was you said Just shows, you can't keep a good Do down! Or something.

Had a bit more info today after receiving the printed contract from the hotel. The £50 deposit is indeed non-refundable under normal circumstances, and it seems we'll be required to pay for our accommodation individually upon arrival. I suppose they must have had a few guests doing a runner so they're being careful!

"What have the Romans or Cyclists ever done for us................other than.........."

19th century cyclists paved the way for Modern motorists' roads - Car Drivers assume the roads were built for them, but it was cyclists who first lobbied for flat roads more than 100 years ago.

The hard, flat road surfaces we take for granted are relatively new. Asphalt surfaces weren't widespread until the 1930s. So, are motorists to thank for this smoothness? No. The improvement of roads was first lobbied for – and paid for – by cycling organisations. In the UK and the US, cyclists lobbied for better road surfaces for a full 30 years before motoring organisations did the same.

Cyclists were ahead of their time..............

Full article....................

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-way-for-roads

Time to leave and close the door.............
    Last edited by ducatiman; 26-04-2021 at 00:35.
    Hawk HF3000 - Engine: Alfa GTV 3.0L 24v V6, Dry Sump - Gearbox: Sadev 6 Speed Sequential ST90-14 - Suspension: Nitron 3 Way Adjustable - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive - Tyres: Pirelli P7 Corsa

Well said Andy, we're all road users no matter how many wheels or hooves our mode of transport has. I think I can say that we'd like to think that we're all courteous users of the Queen's Highway and give extra caution to the more vulnerable out there.

But there are some cyclists who don't..... On my journey to and from my (ex place of) work there is a 3 mile stretch of road that's a 60 mph limit. And the number of times a week you'd see cyclists on it instead of using the cycle path next to it beggared belief! Clearly signposted, with a separate footpath next to it. I wonder how much contributory negligence would be assigned to the cyclist that gets hit when they're on the main road and not using the cycle path.

Caravans. That's the real problem. Should be restricted to the hours between 1am and 7am...

SEC Member

As someone who regularly, drives cars and until recently a wagon, rides motorbikes ( not regularly in this country for a few years), rides push bikes and walks, I've found that there are a**eholes doing all these things ( yes, even walking) and unfortunately these are the ones who get noticed, not the majority who play fair by everyone else.
    Back to topic, still debating the dog situation Norm!

Well said Guy, but I forgot about the hooves!
    Should be banned , IMMEDIATELY!!
    There is a particularly large nasty stain on the main road near
    Oulton because someone who thought they should be able to ride a skittish horse on a main road while everyone else kow towed to them found out they were wrong.....
    Last edited by john; 26-04-2021 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As someone who regularly, drives cars and until recently a wagon, rides motorbikes ( not regularly in this country for a few years), rides push bikes and walks, I've found that there are a**eholes doing all these things ( yes, even walking) and unfortunately these are the ones who get noticed, not the majority who play fair by everyone else.
    Back to topic, still debating the dog situation Norm!

Well said Guy, but I forgot about the hooves!
    Should be banned , IMMEDIATELY!!
    There is a particularly large nasty stain on the main road near
    Oulton because someone who thought they should be able to ride a skittish horse on a main road while everyone else kow towed to them found out they were wrong.....

Ang on !!!!!!!..... 'Orses were around before bikes !!!....... who ever invented 'Orses ???... buggers !.......... bet it was the Romans who invented 'Orses !