Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As someone who regularly, drives cars and until recently a wagon, rides motorbikes ( not regularly in this country for a few years), rides push bikes and walks, I've found that there are a**eholes doing all these things ( yes, even walking) and unfortunately these are the ones who get noticed, not the majority who play fair by everyone else.
    Back to topic, still debating the dog situation Norm!

Well said Guy, but I forgot about the hooves!
    Should be banned , IMMEDIATELY!!
    There is a particularly large nasty stain on the main road near
    Oulton because someone who thought they should be able to ride a skittish horse on a main road while everyone else kow towed to them found out they were wrong.....

Ang on !!!!!!!..... 'Orses were around before bikes !!!....... who ever invented 'Orses ???... buggers !.......... bet it was the Romans who invented 'Orses !

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

If the Guardian says we all have to thank cyclists, well, it MUST be true, mustn't it? Hahaha....don't think so - they can't even spell!
    If we're going to discuss who's responsible for our roads (which we weren't - we were talking about bad manners and ignorant people) then we have to go back to the Romans. And in fact even further, with various iron-age routes in use before that. But it was, indeed, bad manners we were on about, and yes there are people who display such traits in all groups who use the roads. And I suspect things ain't gonna improve any time soon, what with peeps seeming to have an increased sense of entitlement of late.
    Latest thing that seems to have got people's backs up is older drivers, i.e. those over 70. As it stands, you have to reapply for your licence once you hit this great age, and every 3 years thereafter. All you have t odo is say you're not unfit to drive due to various ailments, and you're good to go. But now some obscure group I'd never heard of before is angling for certain older people to be restricted to only driving within 30 miles of home, and not at all during the hours of darkness. Excuse me? Who gets to say who is and isn't covered by these restrictions? Bet none of them are over 50.... even more laughable is the result of a poll where almost 100% of younger drivers say everyone over 70 shouldn't be allowed to drive AT ALL. Yeah, watch that opinion change the closer they get to 69

Anyway, come on John, get that room booked and give the dog a break from pounding the back streets of Cheshire with all those smiley cats!

SEC Member

They had big noses the Romans didn't they Phil?
    Perhaps it was indeed them who invented horses, along with the long practised withering look down those noses at us hoi polloi below their lofty perches.
    In saying that, we've just joined the Polo Club, don't ya know, (for dog walking purposes) and they are a lovely bunch!

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    If the Guardian says we all have to thank cyclists, well, it MUST be true, mustn't it? Hahaha....don't think so - they can't even spell!
    If we're going to discuss who's responsible for our roads (which we weren't - we were talking about bad manners and ignorant people) then we have to go back to the Romans. And in fact even further, with various iron-age routes in use before that. But it was, indeed, bad manners we were on about, and yes there are people who display such traits in all groups who use the roads. And I suspect things ain't gonna improve any time soon, what with peeps seeming to have an increased sense of entitlement of late.
    Latest thing that seems to have got people's backs up is older drivers, i.e. those over 70. As it stands, you have to reapply for your licence once you hit this great age, and every 3 years thereafter. All you have t odo is say you're not unfit to drive due to various ailments, and you're good to go. But now some obscure group I'd never heard of before is angling for certain older people to be restricted to only driving within 30 miles of home, and not at all during the hours of darkness. Excuse me? Who gets to say who is and isn't covered by these restrictions? Bet none of them are over 50.... even more laughable is the result of a poll where almost 100% of younger drivers say everyone over 70 shouldn't be allowed to drive AT ALL. Yeah, watch that opinion change the closer they get to 69

Anyway, come on John, get that room booked and give the dog a break from pounding the back streets of Cheshire with all those smiley cats!
    All true Norm, apart from there are only worried cats in Cheshire now our Bryn's got his goolies.....

Booked in for this, just need Norm to book some decent weather now

SEC Member

Well done that man - I've sent off the Good Weather Request Form and am now waiting for confirmation from God. Although I think we're in with a decent chance, cos we already had enough rain for 30 weekends last time we did Kielder....

SEC Member

I reckon it's time I published the route details - not that it's changed any from 2 years ago, but some of you won't have a copy unless you've been sneaky and gone onto the thread for the 2019 Run

There is a difference though - there are now two breakout points included, for those who either don't want to do the whole thing or have had enough by Kielder. Besides the regular written directions, Treasurer Mark (Redline) has kindly knocked up a set of tulip instructions based on the written ones, but there are no breakouts in that. So without further ado, here they are....

Shap 2021.doc

shap-wells-2021-wide-pages-a4.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is my plan to turn the breakout routes into tulips as well. I hope to have some time next week and I'll put the .pdfs and the .gpx files onto this thread.

Up until now the tulips were in .pdf format and you needed to print them out (A4 or A5). The developers of the navigation software have now released an app which means you can load the .pdfs into the app and the app will display the route instructions (junction by junction) on your phone as you drive round (I think you have to manually click per junction...) Now I haven't tried this yet but for those of you who are singletons (or the equivalent) in your cars, the navigation app might be worth trying and it may be easier to set-up and use than the .gpx (for your satnav, phone or standalone).

See website here (watch/listen to the video).

Any comments, fire away
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

SEC Member

Brilliant stuff. Ta for producing the tulips whether the new thing comes off or not - must have taken yonks!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    It is my plan to turn the breakout routes into tulips as well. I hope to have some time next week and I'll put the .pdfs and the .gpx files onto this thread.

Up until now the tulips were in .pdf format and you needed to print them out (A4 or A5). The developers of the navigation software have now released an app which means you can load the .pdfs into the app and the app will display the route instructions (junction by junction) on your phone as you drive round (I think you have to manually click per junction...) Now I haven't tried this yet but for those of you who are singletons (or the equivalent) in your cars, the navigation app might be worth trying and it may be easier to set-up and use than the .gpx (for your satnav, phone or standalone).

See website here (watch/listen to the video).

Any comments, fire away
    Updated Tulip files below. Main route, Breakout Point 1 and Breakout Point 2

Then for the .gpx satnav peeps the zipped up .gpx files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"