Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

SEC Member

Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Peeps,

Now the dates are decided upon and the hotel's booked, I thought I should start a new thread for this one with all the details, the thinking being that if I simply update the existing one, people who could be interested in attending might overlook it, believing there's nothing new.

So, as promised, the route will be the same as the 2019 one (but hopefully not as wet!). But this time, there'll be a break-out after Kielder itself that'll take you back to the hotel pretty much directly, for those who've had enough or for whom the lure of the bar is too great

Dates are as above, and the hotel is also as of 2019, i.e. the SHAP WELLS HOTEL, near, strangely, Shap. Price will be £60 per person per night on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, so £240 for a couple for both nights. Single rooms are a bit more expensive at £80 a night, or £85 if you want a double room all to yourself (maybe thinking you might get lucky, hahaha). To make a reservation, call the hotel on 01931 716628 and say you're with the Stratos Enthusiasts' Club. I've reserved 10 double rooms to begin with, but I'm sure more will be available provided you don't leave it too late to book (especially if no-one can go abroad for hols this year).

As regulars will know, the Shap Wells is....erm....quirky It's not the full-on 5-star experience (probably why it's only 3-star), but then, it's not 5-star money either. Plenty of parking space, a mile from the A6 down its own drive, so no chance of passing lowlifes (lowlives??) attempting to have a go at yer motor. As always, it doesn't matter what car you drive (in fact last time, there were no Strats at all), it's about a fun weekend away with like-minded peeps, all of whom for some reason have been unable to find a decent hotel elsewhere in the Lakes

Reply to this thread when you've booked so I know who's coming, and with luck there won't be any backtracking on lifting of restrictions and we'll be able to Do The Needful, i.e. have a great drive over some fab roads, and talk shite well into the night (yeah, like you needed an excuse or my permission...)

Come on, what are you waiting for???

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Booked, the chap on reception is Mike , Pat got the impression he was the only person in the place

David

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out - Pennines, Kielder and the Borders - Fri 6th & Sat 7th August 2021

Yeah, when I called the hotel last week he said he WAS the only one in....not much point having others there if it's closed I suppose!

Did he relieve you of £50? Was about to post that they want a deposit this time... anyway, good to know there'll be four of us even if nobody else wants to go

£50 deposit was asked for and duly paid. Apparently he said it was non refundable, Pat then asked what if we were all locked down again !!!. Oh that would be different.

Wim commin. Bringin t lile wellies jus tin case , & sou wester.

SEC Member

Cheers Robin, whatever it was you said Just shows, you can't keep a good Do down! Or something.

Had a bit more info today after receiving the printed contract from the hotel. The £50 deposit is indeed non-refundable under normal circumstances, and it seems we'll be required to pay for our accommodation individually upon arrival. I suppose they must have had a few guests doing a runner so they're being careful!

Lord and Lady Dolby will be attending in a Fortnum and Mason shopping trolley

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Lord and Lady Dolby
    uh get you, champers all round!! together with retrieved and recycled Corn Flakes

SEC Member

Nah, it's quails' eggs, autolan and foie gras only for those two - definitely no fluffy brekky cereal. They're so far upmarket even the trolley's chauffeur-driven with a drinks cabinet (a box of cheapo supermarket red).

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Nah, it's quails' eggs, autolan and foie gras only for those two - definitely no fluffy brekky cereal. They're so far upmarket even the trolley's chauffeur-driven with a drinks cabinet (a box of cheapo supermarket red).
    As you well know Norm..... I usually get my cereals off the carpet !!